• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smokers of tobacco on the site?

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many of you smoke? I smoke a pipe and cigs. Very rarely a cigar.

Care to enumerate your sartorial implements concerning the fine pleasure of tobacco?

A few lighters, incl. a Dunhill (though my zippo I like best), a few cig. cases, one sterling silver, the other Dunhill leather. An old tobacco pouch from Dunhill too.

H.

PS. I suppose this thread is destined to elicit all sorts of condemnations of that lovely, fair plant.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love cigars, and what's really cool about them are the accessories. A fine humidor, lined with Spanish cedar, filled with beautiful 6 inch x 50 ring gauge babies all ripe and ready to smoke is a thing of beauty. My next purchase is going to be really cool desk top guillotine-style cutter.

marc37

Reaction score
How many of you smoke? Â
Smoke what.?. LoL. He He. Occassionally l will smoke a big fat cigar (lasts for 2.5 hours) when l drink Gin or vodka shots. lf l drink too much alcohol l will smoke other things. LoL. l am abit of a health nut so l rarely abuse my body. When l do l like to abuse it properly.
biggrin.gif

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
I enjoy the odd cigar, especially when other vices are unavailable. My accessorizing so far has been limited to a beautiful hand-made inlaid wood humidor from a little shop that specializes in such things in Sorrento.

While I find cigarettes disgusting--in the sense of smell and appearance, not morality--I have been looking for an excuse to carry a tasteful silver cigarette case.

Tom

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Often smoke Shermans. Carry a silver Dupont hobnail lighter, for many years. It's a hard to maintain item and gas (lasts a month) is up to $7 a can. Service and parts, for these and Dunhill, are good at Unique (just west of 57th St.) Not happy about the habit.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cigars. I very much want to add a sterling silver and enamel cigar case to the things that I carry, and a dunhill lighter, one day. I have a few leather cases, and a penknife cutter now.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me... I'm a BIG cigar fan, altho i keep my enjoyment of this vice to once a week or so. i finally made it back to my favorite cigar store ever (my favorite because it is EXACTLY the way i would have designed it, decorated it, and run it) IN Tucson, AZ-- anthony's cigar emporium on grant road. had a ashton vintage selection robusto. thanks to my veteran status, i was given a really cool black arturo fuente black ballcap from the store, with a really neat opus X design. pretty cool, no?

BjornH

Reaction score
10-15 Prince White a day (Danish brand). I used to carry a faux-silver cigarette case and a cool, high-maintenance lighter about 10 years ago. I eventually got tired of the hassle and have stuck to hard packs and disposable ligthers since.

I still would like to get a nice Dunhill but I have not been able to justify the expense.

B

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I find cigarettes disgusting--in the sense of smell and appearance, not morality--I have been looking for an excuse to carry a tasteful silver cigarette case.

Tom
That reminds me of a line from that otherwise forgetable gangster spoof Johnny Danderously

Johnny, played by Micheal Keaton, gives his mother an ashtray for her birthday:

"Why Johnny, an ashtray. I've been thinking of taking up smoking, and this clinches it."

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I smoke cigarettes and occasionally cigars (not as much of the latter as I used to, unfortunately).

I use a gold-toned Evans cigarette case from the 1940s and a Zamia gold-toned lighter from the 1950s. I don't have a fancy cigar cutter though...I lose them too often to justify buying one.

seanandnik

Reaction score
This was the source for most of the fights between my brother and I when we were living together, you who smoke do not realize how much the smell sticks to and lingers on clothes. If my bro would wear something of mine and smoke in it I could immeiately tell as soon as he walked in, I'm sorry to offend those who smoke,but it is terrible smelling, and even worse the next day. he would say he couldn't smell it, HOW? If I am in line somewhere behind someone who smokes, I can tell immediately, it is a gross aura that permeates the smoker.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear that since Hizoner Bloomberg banned smoking in NYC bars, all you can smell is BO. I'll take cigarette smoke anyday. Along with the late and dearly missed novelist/essayist Mordecai Richler, I cannot understand people who demand non-smoking bars for a "healthier" experience. You're in a bar -- a temple to hedonism and poor decision-making. If you want a healthier atmosphere stay home and read to your children. The rest of us want to enjoy a sordid evening out and that includes smoking along with our liquor.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10-15 Prince White a day (Danish brand). I used to carry a faux-silver cigarette case and a cool, high-maintenance lighter about 10 years ago. I eventually got tired of the hassle and have stuck to hard packs and disposable ligthers since.

I still would like to get a nice Dunhill but I have not been able to justify the expense.

B
I prefer the softpack when wearing a suit or sport jacket. Allows the pack to conform to my body and sit better in the pocket.

Shermans? I like the Nat Shermans. The NY Cut that they started not too long ago was okay. I wonder if they've discontinued it. I used to have a standing order from Shermans to ship, before days of internet.

I've been using matches lately. I keep the lighter usually in a trouser pocke but have always felt the Zippo a little too big. If I cared about these things a bit more, I'd say that it destroys the line of the trouser.

On two suits, I've had them fit for cigarette cases.

Anyone who's done MTM or bespoke have their tailor accomodate smoking kit? I suppose one could even have it done on RTW.

chocoball

Reaction score
On the topic of cigarettes, has anyone tried custom blend cigarettes.....like James Bond's turkish blend Morlands?
tounge.gif
I asked in London, but was told that Morlands in Piccadilly had gone out of business some years ago (is nothing sacred anymore?). A friend of mine smokes cigarettes made for him in the Philippines....they taste foul, but I can see the attraction. After all, most of my work week apparel is tailored, so why not my cigarettes too? As for lighters....I was given a reproduction World War 1 brass flint lighter many years ago by a (now-ex) girlfriend, which I still use. It's about the size of an ST Dupont gas lighter. It's got a hole where you insert the tip of the cigarette, and a key you turn for sparks. It's very different, and works in windy places. I saw an original one in a book about World War 1 antiques, which looks exactly the same as mine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads