1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Smokers of tobacco on the site?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Horace, Jan 30, 2005.

1. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Not really the need in my line of work. Perhaps to carry spare shells? gogekko--I like a smoke-free bar not because of health, but because the smell of cigarettes might be the biggest turn-off imagineable. And frankly, why do we go to bars anyway? OK, maybe BO is a bigger turnoff [​IMG] Tom

2. Mike

Mike Senior member

I gotta be a smart ass here. This made me think of an answer Sinatra once gave to the question, "How does one live in the PC world of no smokers?" His response, "Tell 'em you die your way, I'll die mine."

3. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

We go to bars to engage in risky behavior. We drink a liquid that past one or two impairs your judgment and damages major organs in your body with prolonged use. It carries the minor side effect of making you stink of booze. We go to bars to meet women and hopefully both agree to do the most dangerous thing you can do (particularly if unprotected) besides be a civilian worker in Iraq: have sex. It carries the minor side effect of making you stink of...well, you know. Frankly, weighed against those two things, smoking is a perfect fit. Cigarettes and bars go together like a horse and carriage, to employ another Sinatra-ism. As I said, a bar is a temple to hedonism, not cleanliness. And frankly, smokers are more fun. Since they've banned smoking in 'public' areas in the provincial 'city' that I live in, bars have turned boring. Not as many smokers go out and all the non-smokers that publicly declared they'd love to go out more if they'd just ban smoking...well, I don't know where they are. They aren't in bars. The end result is that bar owners, employees and gorgekko got screwed. But yes, it smells better in there now. Yippee.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Smoking accoutrements are very pleasing items. Cases, holders, and the lighters.

I used to own a Dunhill Rollagas in gold.

Also I believe Nat Sherman does custom blended cigarettes.

5. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

All of you "used to own" expensive smoking accessories which I guess you've lost. If you can't smoke in bars or at work, why buy these items any more? To admire them when you smoke outside your office for about a minute? You can't even light a woman's cigarette with it at the bar. I'm leaving the bigger issues alone (how do you focus on work at the office or how does a single guy meet new women at a bar, without your tobacco support?). My Dupont sits inside my desk drawer all day like it's retired.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

It's horrible, this no smoking in office buildings. But I know there are places, including my lawyers office, where you can still do so. He's got two ultra-intense air cleaners, his secretary is decent about it, and at least this client loves it.

There are still those bars which allow it, of course, and it's up to us to patronize them.

PS. Love Sinatra's riposte.

7. 1ik96

1ik96 Member

I smoke a cigar once a week. I love robustos such as Cohiba Robustos, Partagas Serie D No. 4, and Ramon Allones Specially Selected but I smoke all sizes of parejos and figurados. It just depends on my mood and how much time I have.

Due to the smoking ordinances, I primarily smoke at home now. Pitty, one can not publicly enjoy a good cigar after a meal now.

8. chocoball

chocoball Senior member

Seems that there aren't too many cigarette smokers in this forum. [​IMG] Are we a - cough, cough - dying breed??

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Camel Lights, hard pack. Once in awhile I'll get a pack of Camel Straights just to relive the old days.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Pipes and cigars with varying frequency. On a warm summer evening it's pleasant to sit outside and and enjoy a contemplative briar (or meerschaum) or a good cigar. I rarely smoke when away from the house except occasionally while walking my dog. When I had two dogs, I really enjoyed smoking and watching the dogs roughhouse with brutal violence. I have maybe 35 "decent" class pipes and a few elaborately carved meerschaums that were gifts and not exactly my taste. Otherwise, no Dunhills or other high-grade "firsts." I don't own any high-grade smoking accessories. I use wooden kitchen matches to light my pipes and cigars.

11. ken

ken Senior member

Well said. I was recently in Delaware where apparently the smoking nazis have invaded outdoor establishments as well; I was told to put out my cigarette in a park.