• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoked Salmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the few foods that can rival bacon. Part of the holy triumvirate of bagel, cream cheese and lox.

Smoked salmon...I salute you!

samblau

Reaction score
and a lot healthier, albeit more expensive. ever have pastrami cured smoked salmon? wild is MUCH better than farm raised...also, please only a touch of cream cheese when paired.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smoked salmon, raw diced red onions, nice toast, unreal.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
The other day I went to one of my favorite local breakfast places in LA to get a salmon scramble but opted for their new smoken salmon wrap instead: a beautiful stack of smoked Norwegian salmon, scrambled egg, diced tomates, and a generous dollop of cream cheese wrapped in a flour tortilla.

Wow. Just wow.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
The other day I went to one of my favorite local breakfast places in LA to get a salmon scramble but opted for their new smoken salmon wrap instead: a beautiful stack of smoked Norwegian salmon, scrambled egg, diced tomates, and a generous dollop of cream cheese wrapped in a flour tortilla.

Wow. Just wow.

Sounds great.

Norwegian is good...as is Scottish...and Nova Scotian; basically all the Atlantic stuff.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Sounds great.

Norwegian is good...as is Scottish...and Nova Scotian; basically all the Atlantic stuff.

Not to derail but have you had steelhead? Along with salmon it's a pretty common fish in the Pac NW. It doesn't really have the signature taste that salmon does but does have a similar quality to it. Cooked it tastes just as good if not better.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite weekend breakfast on a toasted "everything" bagel! I always get extra onions, as they make all the flavors come together! I am still indifferent to capers though.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

Wow. Just wow.

Barney Greengrass used to have an outpost with outdoor seating at the BH Barneys. These guys know salmon. They also have the most amazing and addictive borscht drink.

-

nioh

Reaction score
For a taste of Scandinavia,

Boil some "new potatoes" whole with a few stems of dill
serve with
smoked or cured salmon
sour cream, chopped chives and shallots/red onion
squeeze of lemon on top

hi-val

Reaction score
Capers make the date. If you have them brined, rinse them off. If you don't like capers, it's probably because you object to the vinegar taste of the brine. Rinsing takes care of this and brings out that floral, snappy flavor.

Opinions on hot smoked vs. cold smoked? I think my opinion is just "delicious".

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I serve smoked salmon with baby potato pancakes made with dill, as well as sour cream and capers. With a nice Scotch, it's a suberb pairing.

Histrion

Reaction score
People going by Montreal have to stop at Comptoir à vin BouchonnÃ
00a9.png
! (a little wine bar) and get the Fairmount bagel chips (Fairmount bagel is my favourite bagel place in Montreal) with smoked salmon, caper cream cheese and caper purÃ
00a9.png
e. Washed down with a good glass of wine. Its just great.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't salmon considered a "lowly" fish by Japanese, for sashimi? Someone told me that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads