• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smith's Finnemeresco

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't know why, but this is like the Breanish. Some people really, really love it, and some really, really hate it.

I just take for granted that 12 ounce fresco would be useless to me, so I have never ordered it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I looked at the Smith's but went with a Holland & Sherry 13/14oz fresco instead. The H&S looked like it would wear cooler...but I was only after navy.

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I looked at the Smith's but went with a Holland & Sherry 13/14oz fresco instead. The H&S looked like it would wear cooler...but I was only after navy. - B
I have most of what I want from the H&S Crispaire's, except for the light gray. There is a really nice cream/tan nailhead, too, but it's color value is almost the same as the tan that I have and I need a second/third suit to wear at the same time as the tan. I already have the Minnis 0520 RAF blue. I was looking for a summer Olive, but didn't find one in fresco (tropical wools, only). Finnemeresco had a really nice light blue, with a green cast, and I went for that. I am a bit apprehensive about it as it was slightly heavier in weight - but it felt very airy. I think Concordia uses this stuff.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Finnemeresco had a really nice light blue, with a green cast, and I went for that.

I am a bit apprehensive about it as it was slightly heavier in weight - but it felt very airy.

I think that will work out great.

Honestly, I think the weight is less important than the weave for how it wears outdoors in the summer.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Some people really, really love it, and some really, really hate it.

Why would someone hate it after choosing it?

What expectations were not met?

- B

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wore trousers made of it today. Not perfect-- nothing is-- but I do like it for warm-ish spring days. It breathes pretty well, is more giving and less coarse than Minnis medium/light weight (not the 8oz stuff), and the colors are nice. Not as nice as some of the Crispaires, but nice. The jackets make up especially well. For really hot weather you need something else, of course, and for cooler temperatures you could go with something that will stand up better as trousers. If I were doing a suit today (91 degrees or so) I probably would have reached for a Lesser SFT. Were I packing for a week that involved travel in high 80s and low 60s weather, I might tilt to the Finmeresco.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Wore trousers made of it today. Not perfect-- nothing is-- but I do like it for warm-ish spring days. It breathes pretty well, is more giving and less coarse than Minnis medium/light weight (not the 8oz stuff), and the colors are nice. Not as nice as some of the Crispaires, but nice. The jackets make up especially well.
Thanks.

For really hot weather you need something else, of course, and for cooler temperatures you could go with something that will stand up better as trousers. If I were doing a suit today (91 degrees or so) I probably would have reached for a Lesser SFT.
I don't think I am a fan of tropicals, and especially not for travel. They droop and cling too easily.
Were I packing for a week that involved travel in high 80s and low 60s weather, I might tilt to the Finmeresco.
That is my target use - maybe a bit warmer. I chose what I did for the color, taking a chance that it would be cool enough. I may be disappointed, though I do seem to be less bothered by the heat than some of you guys, and I really wanted something that would travel well. But if I could have had that color in a 10oz, I would have.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I may be disappointed, though I do seem to be less bothered by the heat than some of you guys, and I really wanted something that would travel well. But if I could have had that color in a 10oz, I would have.

Well, YMMV. It's on the cusp of what you probably want. I seem to recall that you were talking about Houston in the summer? For that I'd probably go with the lightest Minnis cloths and just deal with having to replace them more frequently.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have two suits from Raph in the Finnemeresco cloth, the blue/grey and the tan and I love it. Definitely wears cooler but I prefer it to the several Minnis I own.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
This is my year for 12 ounce suits intended for our six months of 65 degree sunshine. I have the light gray Finmeresco on order.

Agreed Will, 12oz is ideal for days like today in NYC.

I ordered a few suits in Harrison's Cape Kid, are you a fran?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Agreed Will, 12oz is ideal for days like today in NYC.

I'm in 13/14 oz. flannel. Double-breasted. Got a problem with that?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm in 13/14 oz. flannel. Double-breasted. Got a problem with that?

No problem man, I'm a flannel lover, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads