• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smelly sweaters

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
I followed the advice of past threads and washed my wool sweaters by hand and did the "towel wrap" method for drying. I guess I didn't do something right, because the sweaters now reek! They smell like a dank basement, it's really really bad. What can I do get rid of this smell?

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in the first post. The sweaters are totally dry, and they still smell like a wet basement.

hotspur

Reaction score
if you let something dry slowly in a dark somewhat moist place it will likely smell pretty dank. I made this mistake before, your best option is to rewash it, and then either hang it up to dry, or maybe even put it outside if the weather is good.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The towel-wrap is not for drying, but to squeeze out excessive moisture.

Wash the item and squeeze out the moisture by hand (do not wring): lay damp sweater on a towel, roll sweater and towel to a sausage and bash hard with your fists. This transfers moisture from the sweater into the towel.

Unwrap, pull sweater into shape, lay onto another dry towel and let it dry flat, exposed to the fresh air; damp towel to dry separately away from the sweater. Do not attempt to dry inside the damp towel. (Neither should a damp sweater be line-dried. It would pull the sweater all out of shape.)

alflauren

Reaction score
Bed, Bath and Beyond has a "sweater dryer," which is just a short four-legged frame with nylon netting pulled across it. Lets the sweater dry from both sides. Never had a problem.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, ideally, you would want to do the sweater burrito and then stick it into a sweater drying rack. They're fairly cheap, and if you wear sweaters, a hell of a lot cheaper than dry cleaning bills.

Goes without saying that if you live in a cool, moist environment, you're going to have a hell of a time getting this to work.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Yeah, ideally, you would want to do the sweater burrito and then stick it into a sweater drying rack. They're fairly cheap, and if you wear sweaters, a hell of a lot cheaper than dry cleaning bills. Goes without saying that if you live in a cool, moist environment, you're going to have a hell of a time getting this to work.
A fan blowing across it can help in that situation.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No! Please don't dry in the sun. It can fade the colors.

The smell probably was caused by the towel. Put a damp towel in a bag for a few days, and you will smell for yourself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads