"Smart Casual" 10-year High School Reunion: POAL

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Bull

Bull Senior member

[​IMG]

2. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

Unless you became very famous, married a super hot wife, or made enough money that you can retire tomorrow, don't go to HS reunion.
    At me reunion everyone was normal.
    No showing off at all.
    just all old friends.
    No one brought their wife.

LEAVE WIFE AT HOME.
    No one want to talk to wives at reunion.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] ^ I say, this.
    I don't like the way that jacket fits. Also, I don't think that outfit would make sense at night. It's more of a going-for-a-walk-in-the-park outfit.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Unless you became very famous, married a super hot wife, or made enough money that you can retire tomorrow, don't go to HS reunion.

+1
    ...and even if you did achieve it all, still don't go. That'll teach 'em who's master.

5. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Wear the suit and tie and go all out with the pocket square and cufflinks. It's your signature style and it fits your personality.

FWIW had my 25-year reunion last weekend. First one I haven't really dressed up for. Wore a pair of Lucky jeans, white long sleeve polo shirt and a pair of navy John Varvatos for Converse sneakers.

At my 10-year I believe I wore a sportcoat and tie to the formal Saturday dinner. At the 20 I think wore a dress shirt and khakis.

Apparently, my reunion attire is getting more casual the older I get.

I've enjoyed all of my reunions.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Jeans, Longwings, darker colored tweed sportcoat, blue shirt.

A suit and tie is acceptable if you are coming from something more important that required it. [​IMG]

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Jeans, Longwings, darker colored tweed sportcoat, blue shirt.

A suit and tie is acceptable if you are coming from something more important that required it. [​IMG]

I don't have an odd jacket dark enough. Maybe we'll go out to a nice dinner beforehand and that will be our excuse.

8. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

[​IMG]

^ I say, this.

that pic always makes me lmaoz

[​IMG]

9. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Foo, since you're the Asian Brad Pitt, you can wear whatever you want!

10. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

What time and day of the week is it? It makes a big difference in what you should/could wear.

11. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

... as "smart". Also, ...
    ... count as "smart casual". I don't ....
    Whatever you do, don't tell your English teacher that you've been putting the period outside of the quotation marks, unless s/he's British.

And fwiw, I think that I'd wear jeans, the longwings, a button down, and a sweater.

12. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Maybe it's because I am still fairly naive at this sartorial thing, but I when I read or hear "smart casual" I DO NOT automatically think jeans and un-tucked shirt.

The fact that a dress code is stipulated leads me to think that there has been a clear decision to give people a notice about dressing; it follows that if a notice is given, their is an implied understanding that this notice is intended to remind people not to go about their normal ways, in this case dressing with jeans and untucked shirt is the normal way.

What I do think is: I need to put on some tailored clothing, at the very minimum at least a sport jacket over the jeans and untucked shirt.

But yea, dress in a suit. Not that I have to remind anyone here, but most people when they see a guy in suit just think "oh cool you are wearing a suit" and at worse they may make one bad joke about you going to a funeral/wedding/interview and not give a shit anymore after that; this includes the silhouette of your suit, the width of your lapels, the stitching, the drape, the length of sleeves and hem etc.

13. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Foo, do you have a navy SC or it all tweed check ?

14. spider52

spider52 Well-Known Member

My 10 year was last month and despite the 'casual' dress code, the pictures of it revealed a lot of ties. I couldn't be bothered to make the 15,000 mile trip, but if I went, I would have suited up.

15. Sander

Sander Senior member

You really shouldn't wear a suit when 99% will be in jeans.

+1.

My 45rpms are dead. Anyway, I normally would wear them with an OCBD, with a sweater on top if cold. That doesn't count as "smart casual". I don't do anything remotely streetwear.

Lonwgings, dark/raw denim, OCBD, sweater - sounds good to me.

The question is: what do you want to achieve? Do you actually want to "follow" the dress code (though it's incredibly vague) and blend in, then the above outfit is a good option imho.
    If you want to "make a point", show off or some such thing, wear a suit and tie.