• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smart and Savvy SFers - Brand Reps, Executives and SA need your opinions

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Inspired by one of GE's think tank concepts employed at their world famous training center (just read an article about it) I thought perhaps the great minds here at SF could help me out with this mini case study which will help me advice a close friend. Not knowing the business end of fashion, I came here for input.

The Rundown:
You are in an industry (consumer goods) in which you do not truly have a passion for the products that you are manufacturing and distributing through major domestic and international retailers. You are successful, love your job, produce strong results and you have a 7000 foot runway (almost unlimited growth potential). Things are good BUT you have realized your true passion lies in fashion. Note: your current company is mid size and highly entrepreneurial and growing.

Your dream job:
Would consist of a blend of your current position within the fashion industry. Lets say VP Of Sales, or Business development for a smaller brand like Tom Ford or some derivative or group of companies where you would be selling high end clothing to major distributors, private retailers and boutiques, BUT also participating in strategic corp planning and business growth initiatives. I chose Tom Ford because many admire what he did with Gucci and also in regard to what he is achieving with his own line(s).

The Upside:
You believe that your true passion for clothing and fashion which will allow you to truly LOVE and LIVE what you do, making you utimantly much more likely to spend the time it takes to become immensely successful. Main point: it wont feel like work be because you truly love it and study your products not because you have to but because it turns your crank.

Here is the main issue:
You do not want to give up your current lifestyle, pay and success without moving into a roll within the fashion industry that offers comparable benefits. For the sake of argument, your not taking less than 150k a year as a baseline gross yearly income. Lets just use this as a baseline figure, I do realize bonus, commisions and other add ins can change the game.

The question(s):
1.) Do you utilize contacts you have built within the industry to gain access to an opportunity where your real world national consumer goods sales expeirience could be of use to a major brand (offering this service at no charge) during your free time? Or do you offer to help out around the office where you can at no charge. Sort of like a consulting internship.

2.) Do you look for a job working as an SA or within a similar function at a retail store of a brand you admire in your spare time, aiming to work your way up?

The idea of this memo is to facilitate ideas and opinions. Please let them flow...

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lesson learned in regard to posting on this forum!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads