• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small Timer Question: Opinion on Suit Quality

rengler22

Reaction score
Is this a no-brainer?

Which do you think would be better quality for a starter suit?

One of Hickey Freeman's lines, hickey, which is a more modern fit (which I like a lot) and half-canvased I believe.

http://www.hickeystyle.com/website/p...5Fid=H01332000

An example of this line.

OR

The often debated M. Valentino suit from the Wizard of Aahs ebay store. I've heard good and bad things and read up on these suits. But I have heard much about the hickey line.

http://cgi.ebay.com/M-VALENTINO-MENS...item588c60533f

An example of this suit.

Thoughts?

PS - My current wardrobe is littered with Banana Republic (before I found this site) and I'm just getting started on a complete overhaul. I have about $2,000 to spend and need a 2-3 suits, 3-4 pairs of flat front pants, and and 3-4 shirts. If you think I should go in a completely different direction than this, I'm open to this as well.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from both. The best value I've found is from Polo Ralph Lauren suits. Let's say you put $1200 on the table for 3 suits, you could find 3 Polo Ralph Lauren suits for $400 each.

edit- what size are you?

rengler22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I'd stay away from both. The best value I've found is from Polo Ralph Lauren suits. Let's say you put $1200 on the table for 3 suits, you could find 3 Polo Ralph Lauren suits for $400 each.

edit- what size are you?

I'm a 40R. I'm looking for a semi - modern fitting suit without looking like a douche. Can PRL be found in this look? And for $400 each, I'm assuming I would buy these in the B&S section? I live in Indianapolis, IN and there aren't any high fashion outlets (off fifth, etc)

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Have you checked out your local Brooks Brothers? Go and try on a 1818 Regent and Fitzgerald at BB. If you can wait for a sale, you can get them for ~ $500.

PRL suits are pretty decent, but I would try to find a RL store to try them on for fit. If they fit you and you can get them for less than $500, then go for it.

For best fit, you will want to find a good alterations tailor.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
Was in similar boat. Of course it'd be very nice to get great italian suits. But on a budget, I got various $400-500 suits on sale for around $200-250, including a few RLs, but what always makes them look amazing is finding a good tailor and getting them altered just right. In the end with the money I saved got some really nice shirts and ties (including my latest score of a new Zegna couture for $65!). The final look with nicely chosen accessories and great shoes is that I look like i spent 4-5x the money I actually did. Also saving the money and spending it on a gym membership will make you look way better than the typical rolla' in their $1000 suit

slappy

Reaction score
I'll disagree with the previous posters I guess. The Hickey line is very decent. The cut is very nice, slim and flattering. It may not be canvassed but it doesn't look or feel cheap and includes visible handwork. If you can find it on discount it is definitely worth getting (meaning 500 or so dollars). I wouldn't pay anywhere near what that website says however.

slappy

Reaction score
In fact Gilt has some Hickey Freeman suits up for 600. I assume they are mainline canvassed HF, I considered picking up the charcoal birdseye but eh. They also have the Hickey line for 500 atm.

rengler22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
In fact Gilt has some Hickey Freeman suits up for 600. I assume they are mainline canvassed HF, I considered picking up the charcoal birdseye but eh. They also have the Hickey line for 500 atm.

GILT - Correct. This is actually why I posted this thread. I saw a solid navy hickey suit for $500. That's actually why I compared it to the Valentino suit above. Because they're fairly close in price here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads