• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small-timer car recommendation (under 25k)

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All wheel drive would be an asset in Maine. The Subaru Legacy was just redesigned and the 3.6R shown below stickers around $25k.
SUBARU-LEGACY-2010-4SA-4.jpg
The VW CC looks nice if you can negotiate the price somewhat to get it below your price level.
vw_09passatcc_frtright.jpg
Other good suggestions, some already mentioned: the Altima sedan, the Altima coupe, the Accord coupe. If you certain that you want to sell the car in a couple of years you may want to consider leasing as well.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Volvo's are sweet... I wanted to get an 850R Wagon but my girlfriend wouldnt let me lol...

Get an S40 T5-R AWD...

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
A camaro fan? I cannot support you for office. If I lived in Maine I'd buy a truck. Who coordinates their car with their suit anyway?
I'm a law student. What need do I have for a truck? It'll be a pain to find parking downtown. I'd buy a beater truck anyway if I needed it later. I'm not really coordinating with the suit. Just the refined image it invokes. A lease isn't a bad idea, but people in my family have always bought cars and thought of leases as bad deals. We also tend to buy cars outright, or have 0% financing. What can I say --- we Asians like to spend money we have now rather than money we're going to have. EDIT: Also, I've driven in snow before. I'm not limiting myself to AWD/4WD cars. I drove a Volvo 850 before, but it's out of my price range right now.

SoulPatcher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Right now I'm looking at:
  • Kia Forte Koup
  • VW Jetta TDI
  • Camry Hybrid (a reach)

All good choices, but thats a fairly broad price range. On the lower end of the price scale, we were actually just discussing the Koup in another thread (from a design perspective). If you need any info on that car let me know as I have been doing some work with Kia recently. Good review at Car and Driver if you want some background.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

turboman808

Reaction score
Give ya my take on this kind of thing. I cannot imagine buying a car in the 25-50 grand market. Your either buying a cheap car spruced up a bit and had 10-20 grand thrown onto the price or you are buying the cheapest luxury car you can get without the options that make it fun.

Obviously not a hard rule but you can apply it to most cars. I bough a car in the price range and it was a mistake.
frown.gif

If I was gettiing something cheap then I would look for the cheapest car I can get. Yaris, Scion, Fit etc...

However the kia forte is about 20 grand with all the options and really freaking nice leather interior. I would be willing to spend the extra 5 grand in this case for the forte. I really am pretty impressed with it.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
Give ya my take on this kind of thing. I cannot imagine buying a car in the 25-50 grand market. Your either buying a cheap car spruced up a bit and had 10-20 grand thrown onto the price or you are buying the cheapest luxury car you can get without the options that make it fun.

Obviously not a hard rule but you can apply it to most cars. I bough a car in the price range and it was a mistake.
frown.gif

If I was gettiing something cheap then I would look for the cheapest car I can get. Yaris, Scion, Fit etc...

However the kia forte is about 20 grand with all the options and really freaking nice leather interior. I would be willing to spend the extra 5 grand in this case for the forte. I really am pretty impressed with it.

I think you're probably right. I don't care much about gas mileage, but the hybrid/diesels would've been a nice touch. I should probably buy the Forte Koup and save the money instead. I'm going to go for a test drive sometime and see how it is.

I think another problem for me is that I don't want a car everyone else has --- but that kind of mentality can wait.

Still open to other suggestions too!
smile.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mazda 6 you could probably get. It looks really nice...I have been happy with my 04 for the most part.

I'd probably go with a camry or accord though....probably way more reliable in the long run and holds its value. low end models you could probably do it.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
A camaro fan? I cannot support you for office.

If I lived in Maine I'd buy a truck. Who coordinates their car with their suit anyway?

I would have never said that in the past but I actually like how the Dodge Challenger and the Chevy Camaro look. Would I actually buy one? Who knows. I drive a Passat right now if that tells you anything...

Sherlockian

Reaction score
All your choices sound boring as hell. That you'd even consider a Kia suggests you might as well save your money and buy something as cheap (but reliable) as possible. Go for a Toyota Yaris or Honda Civic. Then, after five years is up and the car is worth next to nothing, you can at least congratulate yourself on having done dull motoring the most efficient way possible.

Then you can go for the Lotus Exige / Noble M14 / Caterham that will show you the delights of a car worth driving, rather than just an alternative to public transport.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
All your choices sound boring as hell. That you'd even consider a Kia suggests you might as well save your money and buy something as cheap (but reliable) as possible. Go for a Toyota Yaris or Honda Civic. Then, after five years is up and the car is worth next to nothing, you can at least congratulate yourself on having done dull motoring the most efficient way possible.

Then you can go for the Lotus Exige / Noble M14 / Caterham that will show you the delights of a car worth driving, rather than just an alternative to public transport.

So we are buying daily transportation as an investment now? Definetly not a Sherlock.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian

A Civic is worth nothing after 5 years?

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're wearing a suit, a bigger car would look more appropriate. driving a small car in a suit everyday would seem odd IMO. dunno why, just seems like it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads