• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small pieces of cloth with jacket / suit

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Gentlemen, Last night I was rummaging through my closet and trying to pick out a tie. In doing so, I came across a few pieces of cloth of about 20 square inches each. I remembered these pieces of cloth came with several of my suits and a jacket. The cloth is the same cloth the garment it came with is made of. I haven't thought anything of these pieces of cloth previously, but this time I started wondering why these pieces of cloth were included. Are they for repairs, are they to enable you to feel the cloth of your suit/jacket without having to stroke yourself too conspicuously? What is the purpose? I'm not sure whether the following is relevant, but perhaps it may be, so I'm mentioning it. The suits are both r-t-w and m-t-m, the jacket is m-t-m. All are by Italian 'manufacturers', Â Zegna and Corneliani to be precise. This also brings up another question, since I haven't seen such pieces included with my other (non-Italian) suits. Is the inclusion of a small piece of cloth with a garment typically Italian? Or do more 'better' 'manufacturers' include it? Thanks for any replies, MtB P.S. I did manage to chose a tie. Â
smile.gif

BjornH

Reaction score
I've most often seen this with italian suits/jackets and slacks. Somebody suggested recently that the piece made shopping for matching clothes easier as you don't have to wear the article, just bring the piece along. Given that I'm mostly an impulse buyer it does not help me a lot - I would have to make a swatch book out of those and carry it with me all the time
tounge.gif
B

armscye

Reaction score
My understanding is that they are supplied for repair and reweaving purposes, just like the couple of extra buttons that often come with a good suit.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with armscye -- my understanding is that the extra fabric is included for repair purposes. Though I've heard some people have their tailors sew the fabric onto the bottom of the cuff to add an extra layer of protection from the elements. Seems odd to me....

As with many pieces of stuff, if you keep it you'll never need it; if you throw it away, you're bound to need it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
...Though I've heard some people have their tailors sew the fabric onto the bottom of the cuff to add an extra layer of protection from the elements.  Seems odd to me....
Of course this is irrelevant to a MTM but if you are really tall and want to have cuffed pants the extra fabric might allow the tailor to attach a bit to fold under. It also could be attached simply to add weight to pants that refuse to fall properly over a shoe. I think it's mainly for repair purposes though.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Originally posted by BjornH:
Somebody suggested recently that the piece made shopping for matching clothes easier as you don't have to wear the article, just bring the piece along. Given that I'm mostly an impulse buyer it does not help me a lot - I would have to make a swatch book out of those and carry it with me all the time Â
tounge.gif
I hadn't thought of the mixing and matching-theory. You have given me an idea however. But, yes, the swatchbook might become somewhat cumbersome in time Â
smile.gif
. "Quote" by armscye, kabert and j:
...repair and reweaving purposes...
Well, so I was thinking along the right lines then. I'm glad to find I still have that bit of common sense left Â
biggrin.gif
. Gentlemen, thank you for your reactions. If there are yet more and other uses I would like to know about those. And BjornH, thanks for the idea. MtB

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with armscye -- my understanding is that the extra fabric is included for repair purposes. Â Though I've heard some people have their tailors sew the fabric onto the bottom of the cuff to add an extra layer of protection from the elements. Â Seems odd to me.... As with many pieces of stuff, if you keep it you'll never need it; if you throw it away, you're bound to need it.
I have seen decent RTW suits that have in the back pocket a little piece of a durable fabric to sew onto the inside of the cuff so that the cuff doesnt wear out at that point when walking barefoot or if you prefer the pants long, even when wearing shoes. As far as being able to select a matching tie etc...with the fabric swatch, in all truths it is nearly impossible or better yet impracticle to do so as the shirt used plays a role as well and a tie may not look nice without the shirt but when you add the shirt for color you get a better idea. we rarely show a tie with a suit without the shirt underneath. I would venture to throw in my .02 and agree that the fabric is for weaving or repair or better yet...so that you really think that you are getting your money's worth after dropping 2K on a suit
wink.gif
. JJF

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads