Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Small children.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LabelKing, Mar 19, 2007.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have to say that I am always amazed at how poorly people educate their kids today. I get so many comments on my son (favorable), that it leads me to believe that most parents just dono't put any effort into discipline.

I agree that kids that do not know how to behave should be kept out of the adult world.
    I agree that there are places, although few, that kids, no matter how well behaved should not be brought to
    and, I understand why a bachlor would want to have nice and fragile things around his house, and would worry about a kid breaking them.

that said - I think that having little kids is one of those things like being young, or being old, or moving house etc - you may be inconvenineced by somebody's kids, slightly, but you were a kid once, you may have kids once, and you need to accept this as part of being a member of a society.

2. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

I have to say that I am always amazed at how poorly people educate their kids today. I get so many comments on my son (favorable), that it leads me to believe that most parents just dono't put any effort into discipline.

I agree that kids that do not know how to behave should be kept out of the adult world.
    I agree that there are places, although few, that kids, no matter how well behaved should not be brought to
    and, I understand why a bachlor would want to have nice and fragile things around his house, and would worry about a kid breaking them.

that said - I think that having little kids is one of those things like being young, or being old, or moving house etc - you may be inconvenineced by somebody's kids, slightly, but you were a kid once, you may have kids once, and you need to accept this as part of being a member of a society.

Very well said.

3. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I will have to agree with you on this one, damn! [​IMG] !luc

4. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

you were a kid once, you may have kids once, and you need to accept this as part of being a member of a society.
    Well said globetrotter. I'd like to expand on your last point if I may. I'm continuously suprised at how many people forget that they were once kids. This point becomes glaringly obvious just by observing how many individuals do not know how to interact with children. In my opinion, it boils down to a lack of sensitivity that is rooted in the idea that kids are somehow inferior human beings. What seperates children from adults is the amount of social engineering that they've gone through. Embracing this idea, rather than viewing it as a fault, is key to interacting with childeren. Their misgivings can then be understood as naiveness rather than a subordinate level of humanity.

5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The practice of breeding children for their manners was one of the most admirable traits cultivated in the Three Kingdoms and it is well-known that the corruption of this practice by the nouveau aspirational French had its necessary evolution into the barbarism of Gilles de Rais and later the Countess Báthor. Despite their over-enthusiasm, it is easy to recognize the noble and correct sentiment from which their excesses sprang when listening to an American bourgeois footballer mother ranting into her telephone device.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

The practice of breeding children for their manners was one of the most admirable traits cultivated in the Three Kingdoms and it is well-known that the corruption of this practice by the nouveau aspirational French had its necessary evolution into the barbarism of Gilles de Rais and later the Countess Báthor. Despite their over-enthusiasm, it is easy to recognize the noble and correct sentiment from which their excesses sprang when listening to an American bourgeois footballer mother ranting into her telephone device.

That post is incomplete without the mention of Roland Barthes....

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Wel

What seperates children from adults is the amount of social engineering that they've gone through. Embracing this idea, rather than viewing it as a fault, is key to interacting with childeren. Their misgivings can then be understood as naiveness rather than a subordinate level of humanity.

good point

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Aren't they all?

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

What about some Claude Levi-Strauss?

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Yeah, much better the guy who clipped off my wife's side-view mirror while she was sitting at a stop sign and then when she started to get out of the car to ask for his information drove off screaming "Go to hell, c***!" Or the folks you'll find at pretty much any restaurant shrieking into their cell phones the entire evening (and then probably stiffing the server on the tip.) Or the people who dump their food wrappers, empty bottles, and used rubbers on the beach rather than carry them 50 feet to a trash can.
    Yes, give me those mature, considerate, socially responsible adults any day . . .

I also can't tolerate bad drivers and their tempers.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

If that means you'll never breed, it can't be all wrong then.

!luc

Are you impotent?

12. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Supposedly I was a good kid. But I was a bad teenager. So it all balances out.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Supposedly I was a good kid. But I was a bad teenager. So it all balances out.

I blame your parents.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I blame bad handwriting. People with good handwriting behave better in public. What you do at night is your business.

15. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I blame bad handwriting. People with good handwriting behave better in public. What you do at night is your business.
    But if what you do at night negatively affects your handwriting, do you care?