• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slumdog millionaire, good film?

Aperipan

Reaction score
I've seen the ads on TV and curious if I should check it out. Seems interesting. Anyone here had seen it?

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's really good. Surprised there's not a thread already.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good, almost great, but definitely not "best picture" great. A friend (of indian descent) summarized it very well, why it won so many awards: critics liked the IDEA of the movie, moreso than the movie itself.

Seems like a trend nowadays, such as Crash (Racism) and Brokeback (teh gheyness).

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Good, almost great, but definitely not "best picture" great. A friend (of indian descent) summarized it very well, why it won so many awards: critics liked the IDEA of the movie, moreso than the movie itself.

Seems like a trend nowadays, such as Crash (Racism) and Brokeback (teh gheyness).

It's not better than Dark Knight. But still good.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cas Ruffin
It's not better than Dark Knight. But still good.

In all fairness, SDM is completely different from DK. The movie was good, not sure if I would consider it worthy of best picture though.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend (of indian descent) summarized it very well, why it won so many awards: critics liked the IDEA of the movie, moreso than the movie itself.

Yeah, and I think that part of it was actually the weakest part of the whole movie. The story really wasn't anything special and the acting was quite poor at times. I honestly think it's one of those movies that are nothing but style. But I'm cool with that, because I loved the style for the most part.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, would've been better if he lost the money rather than won it in a fairytale ending where he gets the money AND the girl.

Although it might've had the opposite effect of being MORE saccharine in that he got the girl and doesn't care about the money.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, would've been better if he lost the money rather than won it in a fairytale ending where he gets the money AND the girl.

Although it might've had the opposite effect of being MORE saccharine in that he got the girl and doesn't care about the money.

I don't think they intended it, but the way the plot was structured made the girl seem like a gold digger.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I don't think they intended it, but the way the plot was structured made the girl seem like a gold digger.

Perhaps the director intended art to imitate life?
smile.gif

touchthesky

Reaction score
Like people in this thread have stated, it's a good movie but not worthy of "best picture". To me, it was entertaining but it didn't leave a lasting impression. I was really suprised at all the hype this movie garnered.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
sounding like a broken record of what's been voiced.....good ,not great, not best picture

Reminds me of when Crash won best picture, but SM is better than Crash which was awful

SM just didnt resonate with me to where I thought about it afterward, nor would I want to see it again. I thought Ben Button should have won best pic, saw it 2 more times on a plane last week and it was still enjoyable and moving.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
Wow Jason, I just lost a lot of respect for you. You're lucky I respect you more than anyone else on here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads