• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discuss.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Discuss.

Saw it in its first, very small run.

Very good movie, I think it's like a better version of Crash. I thought some of it was saccharine, but the cinematography, music, and realism is really great. It's a wonderful movie in many respects and I think that everyone will like it if they see it.

entropy_00

Reaction score
Brilliant movie...but the lead was miscast..and a bit too much English spoken for authenticity --

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It just got recommended to me by a friend. I will try to see it sometime

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw it the other night with my girlfriend. It was a pretty good movie. The children actors were fun to watch. Older Jamil was pretty awful though. He had this look of dumb surprise with his mouth open most of the time. The music was fantastic. Sickly sweet ending of long lost and then found love and a brother's redemption, but it's kind of expected.

That girl cannot dance at all...she didn't really look Indian either.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Saw it the other night with my girlfriend. It was a pretty good movie. The children actors were fun to watch. Older Jamil was pretty awful though. He had this look of dumb surprise with his mouth open most of the time. The music was fantastic. Sickly sweet ending of long lost and then found love and a brother's redemption, but it's kind of expected.

That girl cannot dance at all...she didn't really look Indian either.

that is pretty on the mark. He wasn't a poor actor on an emotional level, but his technique was poor. The open mouth is a good example, and probably his biggest tendancy.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Saw it in its first, very small run. Very good movie, I think it's like a better version of Crash. I thought some of it was saccharine, but the cinematography, music, and realism is really great. It's a wonderful movie in many respects and I think that everyone will like it if they see it.
+1. This was pretty much my feeling about it, too. I usually don't like love stories, much, but this one overall was satisfying. Nevertheless, I do agree with the assessment of the older Jamal's acting. But, in a way, it almost made him a more endearing character... it made me "root" for him more.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good movie, although could have been better - the love story was horrible, and it could have had a little less cheesiness..

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The kid who plays Jamal also played Anwar in the UK show "Skins," and I liked him in that. His acting was a bit raw at times, but, IIRC, he'd never acted before he was cast. So he's still finding his feet.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but hope to soon.

mikeman

Reaction score
Like others have stated,some acing was bad,but overall the movie was good.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Discuss.

It's funny that you mention this picture. Saw it last week and told everyone to go see it.
This week it can't be found in Indianapolis.
confused.gif

Al-Wahid

Reaction score
Overall, I thought in was an excellent movie and thought it was a superior movie to The Dark Knight. Of course the love story may strike some as a bit hokey but most Bollywood love stories are. It reminded me in some ways of an excellent Brazilian movie named City of God in that it captures the raw, often visceral nature of life in such a large metropolis.

jkw

Reaction score
I'm friends with Danny Boyle's daughter, so I went to the premier the other day.
Although it's not my type/genre of film, I really enjoyed it!

oneblood

Reaction score
I thought it was ok, I hated the ending but thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the credit dance sequence. I thought the best performance in the movie came from the Michael Jackson (Thriller-age) doppelganger who played older Salim.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Al-Wahid
Overall, I thought in was an excellent movie and thought it was a superior movie to The Dark Knight. Of course the love story may strike some as a bit hokey but most Bollywood love stories are. It reminded me in some ways of an excellent Brazilian movie named City of God in that it captures the raw, often visceral nature of life in such a large metropolis.

There are at least 50 movies this year that were superior to Dark Knight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads