• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slubby cotton tees

poodlerock

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find some nice slubby cotton t-shirts for spring/summer?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a little difficult to explain in words.

basically refers to protrusions of cotton in the fabric (often used in the context of denim on the internetz) caused by irregularities in the weaving.

for denim slubbiness is a desired quality because it's irregular (possibly indicating human error and thus human hand and not machine, although it's all woven by machine. most likely prized in the view of the japanese concept of wabisabi), but i'm sure in the context of suits or shirts it'a huge no no.

if you get a chance get a close up look at PBJs which are known for their slubbiness.

slubby etymology
http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...t=13111&page=3

this one's a lot of fun
http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...ad.php?t=12729

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew actually has the occasionally ringspun slubby t shirt.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zissou
J Crew actually has the occasionally ringspun slubby t shirt.
slubtee.jpg
This is one of them. The pic kind of shows off the slubbiness.

obeserabbit

Reaction score
i have some slubby l/s tees from target (merona brand), haven't seen them in the store lately though

Racove

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i'm sure in the context of suits or shirts it'a huge no no.

really? I have a brown slubby robert graham button-down that's awesome.

yes, i know, many pieces by this brand are just plain weird, but not this one. its a solid color. quality and fit is quite nice.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mmm. i take it back. i guess country suits (im not sure if that's the correct term) are usually somewhat slubby. but generally good shirts have tight weaves. actually is slubbiness due to slack in the weaving proccess?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads