• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slowing Metabolism?

Thundah

Reaction score
Just curious if there's a way to slow down metabolism.
I have a very high metabolism (5'7/5'8, 100 pounds) and was wondering if there's a safe natural way of slowing it down

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you'd want to do that, if you want to weigh more, then go lift some weights.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old are you?

If you are still growing then don't mess with your metabolism. It will slow down eventually, and then you won't want it to. After lifting weights I gained a good 30 lbs pretty quick.

Thundah

Reaction score
Oh I turned 15 early december, so you dont suggest I do anything?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are 15, I used to be the same way, trust me, you will start gaining weight once you hit 25. I take green tea extract and started exercising again and now I think my metabolism has sped up back to where it used to be almost.

Don't mess with your metabolism or hormones or any of that stuff when you are a teenager. If anything you might take some supplements to make sure you are getting optimal nutrition. That is a whole nother long thread though.

For weight lifting you could do some light weight lifting, don't try and get buff. Do running and pullups, etc and get yourself toned.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thundah
I have a very high metabolism (5'7/5'8, 100 pounds) and was wondering if there's a safe natural way of slowing it down

If gaining weight is your goal, you might want to lift weights according to your body type. You sound like an "ectomorph" (like me).

A little research into this may help you do whatever you are trying to do.

Thundah

Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone, so basically should I eat like an extra 1000 calories every day?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help everyone, so basically should I eat like an extra 1000 calories every day?

A calorie surplus of 500 per day would do. Human body often can only generate so much extra muscle/lean body tissue in a period of time (with the limit being 2-3lbs/month). Anything over that threshold is likely to be stored as extra fat, which you probably don't want.
Then again, if this is your first foray into resistance training, you'll benefit a lot from what they call 'beginner's gains'. Thus, don't worry too much, just keep lifting + eating + occasional cardio work.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Don't worry about that at all. I graduated high school early at 17, and was
6'1, 150lbs. By 25, I was 6'3, 175lbs. Enjoy being able to eat as much as you want to, your metabloism will slow around age 23 or so.

auto90403

Reaction score

starving yourself will slow down matabolism. so will getting older.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind starving yourself could negatively impact growth in height. Lifting weights at 15 will not effect growth as long as your eating an adequate number of calories.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads