• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sloane Square style

sloaney

Reaction score
It's another very sweaty afternoon in London today. I just came back from Sloane Square and walked around King's Road. It's my first time exploring the area in depth. Most of this will be probably old news for members who have frequented this area, but I was quite struck by the style of those walking around Sloane Square and up/down King's Road.

The best way to describe the area is as the equivalent of Manhattan's Upper East Side, but definitely for a very young post-University crowd. Even more so than the Upper East Side, the (extreme) homogeneity of the style is very apparent.

For men, the standard uniform is a a polo shirt (preferrably Polo Ralph Lauren) and/or casual shirt with sleeves rolled up, and khaki shorts. Shoes are invariably penny loafers or boat shoes. The preferred watch is a Rolex Submariner.

For women, there are two uniforms. Either the female equivalent of what is described above, or a "bohemian chic" ensamble of blouse and skirt. Oversized sunshades, especially Gucci's, are very popular.

In short, everyone is young, fit, beautiful and (looks) wealthy. It is really a pleasant area to visit, with outdoor cafes and mid-priced stores.

PS: On another note, I've just been quoted 40 pounds per hour for personal training. Is this normal? I think it's really expensive!

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40 quid per hour isn't a bad rate.

sloaney

Reaction score
I clearly do not make enough money. Twice a week of personal training would run up to GBP 320 per month.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem to be a young guy. Unless you're doing some specialty work, and because ostensibly you could use that money in other ways, I'm not sure why you would need a trainer.

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
You seem to be a young guy. Unless you're doing some specialty work, and because ostensibly you could use that money in other ways, I'm not sure why you would need a trainer.

Because I guess I want to look better. Much better. All the clothes in the world won't help. Don't get me wrong, I'm not "gross", just slightly above my ideal weight. But I'm certainly not fit or muscular either. I'm pretty happy where I am intellect-wise and career-wise. So I guess this is really a part of myself I want to improve.

I mean just walking around Sloane Square and King's Road .... I just feel I can't compete (sigh)

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Sloane Square / Kings Road has always been the epitome of the upscale, what we in America would call Preppy look.

Remember when they used to refer to Princess Diana and her types as "Sloane Rangers"?

As to personal training, that is quite steep. But considering prices that have been reported from London for other items, probably not surprising.

I would guess you could probably find something cheaper if you tried some other areas of London - i.e. not in Chelsea or other posh areas.

bondurant

Reaction score
My trainer at my gym in Chelsea charges more than £40/hour, so I agree what you've been quoted is probably about right, although I would think that's probably the high end of the market.

You may want to check out gyms near where you work or avoid the poshest gyms and Chelsea and look at Fitness First or David Lloyd. I think you can probably find something in the £30/hour range if you expand the scope of your search.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads