• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slingbox ?

SUPER K

Reaction score
Anyone have one? Like/dislike, waste? Thinking of getting one for my brother, he likes to have the latest toys.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one. It works OK, but I have not had much call to use it. Performance depends upon the speed of your modem/network.

solipsist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I have one. It works OK, but I have not had much call to use it. Performance depends upon the speed of your modem/network.

+1. It is decent, depending on what you need it for. If I am at home, the picture is very good. If I am out of the house, the resolution generally isn't any better than youtube.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bizarre. I generally go to all the places shown in the "what is it" video to avoid TV.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad wanted one for xmas so he could watch local (Canada) hockey games and such when he is at his place in the states.

You hook the slingbox up here, and then there is a product, I think called a slingcatcher, that lets you watch it on TV there.

So, my questions I can not find the answers to are 1) how do you change the satellite channel at the remote house and 2) I assume you can not be watching something different at the primary location and the remote location?

Thanks,

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
My dad wanted one for xmas so he could watch local (Canada) hockey games and such when he is at his place in the states.

You hook the slingbox up here, and then there is a product, I think called a slingcatcher, that lets you watch it on TV there.

So, my questions I can not find the answers to are 1) how do you change the satellite channel at the remote house and 2) I assume you can not be watching something different at the primary location and the remote location?

Thanks,

You can change channels from the remote location because the Slingbox comes with little IR hook-ups that allow you to use a virtual remote control on the receiving computer to operate the signal receiving device at the home location.

People at both locations must watch the same channels, provided they are watching a signal from the same set-top box. For instance, at my house somebody could watch regular cable TV on one channel, while somebody else watches something else on a computer through the Slingbox which is linked to the Digital cable box.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Digging up this old thread to ask a question.

I'm tired of paying for cable TV both at the apartment in Sacramento and at my house in Phoenix. Would it work if I added an additional cable box at my house in Phoenix and then hooked up to it via my computer here in Sacramento.

That way I could control the extra cable box in Phoenix from Sacramento and my wife and kids could still watch what they want on the regular TV.

I'd still have to pay for internet in Sac, but it would be much cheaper.

Next question, if I hook up my laptop to my flatscreen TV, what type of quality will I get through the Slingbox?

Anyone have any experience with this?

cairomerta

Reaction score
I have the Dish Network VIP 922 with slingbox inside and I love it. I watch my TV anywhere. I travel a lot so even when I am in another country I can watch anhy of my recordings and it stream perfectly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads