• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slimming trousers

yndmrk91

Reaction score
I have a paul stuart suit. The trousers have an ankle opening of ~ 9.5 inches, I normally wear banana republic pants with ~8.75 inch at the ankle and I like that look much better. The PS also have pleats, should I get the pants slimmed to be more like my BR trousers? I'm 20 with an athletic build in college, and my jacket was tailored to my body, so I feel like the pants are a bit baggy. Should I have this alteration done (slimming the legs and maybe remove the pleats)? If so anyone have recommendations in Houston or Austin, Texas with the average prices? thank you

saiyar1

Reaction score
Go ahead and slim them. Insist the tailor adjust the seams on both sides of the legs. Removing pleats tends to be on the more expensive side, but it really varies... any Texans here?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, get them tapered. I just had a few pairs tapered and it cost $20/pair

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
Go ahead and slim them. Insist the tailor adjust the seams on both sides of the legs. Removing pleats tends to be on the more expensive side, but it really varies... any Texans here?
I am a Texan on the cusp on having some pants slimmed, yes.
laugh.gif

saiyar1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
I am a Texan on the cusp on having some pants slimmed, yes.
laugh.gif

Recommend a tailor to this man!!!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yndmrk91
The trousers have an ankle opening of ~ 9.5 inches, I normally wear banana republic pants with ~8.75 inch at the ankle and I like that look much better. The PS also have pleats, should I get the pants slimmed to be more like my BR trousers?u

9.5" sounds pretty huge, some of my Mabitex are more like 7.5", though I guess it depends what size you wear. Slimming them sounds like a good idea, especially since you have tried 8.75" and know that you prefer them like that.

yndmrk91

Reaction score
Is $20 the average price for slimming trousers? It seems like a lot more work then $20, the tailor who slimmed my jacket charges 15 just to let out the waist.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yndmrk91
Is $20 the average price for slimming trousers? It seems like a lot more work then $20, the tailor who slimmed my jacket charges 15 just to let out the waist.
From the other threads I have read on this same subject, the average price is definitely higher than $20. 9.5" is a massive hem; I prefer 7" or 7.5" for my own trousers.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just recently had great results ona suit by the Village Clothier in Rice Village in houston. They were recommended by someone else who'd used them extensively.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That suit sounds like a disaster. The hem is borderline MC Hammer and pleats are unconscionable for a 20-year old.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I bought a pair or banana republic pants that have a 10" leg opening! looks like freaking bell bottoms. gotta return them.

yndmrk91

Reaction score
I stopped by express today with my measuring tape to get some good measurements. Express has nice style for 20 year olds and is even some what border lined metrosexual style. So I got measurements for a 32 waist by 30 inseam which fit me nicely.

Every pants style was:
Waist: 32, Knee: 9.5, Hem: 9.

Isn't express already a tailored fit. 7.5" hem is border line if not passed the "skinny" fit no? I'm trying to be conservative with my clothing for I only use it for interviews. Anyone recall a store for 7.5" hems right off the back to try some stuff on aka BR, Zara, even macys?

Last edited:

yndmrk91

Reaction score

I've just recently had great results ona suit by the Village Clothier in Rice Village in houston. They were recommended by someone else who'd used them extensively.

Thanks Rice village isnt too far from my house. I'll stop by and see that they can do as soon as I can get a SF approved hem length.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stopped by express today with my measuring tape to get some good measurements. Express has nice style for 20 year olds and is even some what border lined metrosexual style. So I got measurements for a 32 waist by 30 inseam which fit me nicely.

Every pants style was:
Waist: 32, Knee: 9.5, Hem: 9.

Isn't express already a tailored fit. 7.5" hem is border line if not passed the "skinny" fit no? I'm trying to be conservative with my clothing for I only use it for interviews. Anyone recall a store for 7.5" hems right off the back to try some stuff on aka BR, Zara, even macys?

If you happen to have a pair of Rugby chinos, I think they're right around 7.5"

If just for interviews maybe stick closer to 8"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads