• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

slimming suit jacket arms?

billyhoyle

Reaction score
i have a relatively cheap tux that i've spent quite a bit of money tailoring. my wedding is coming up and i'm debating whether to tweak this one a bit further, or buy a good one.

the pant legs have already been taken in, and i'm curious if the jacket arms would be an easy alteration?

finally, if everything has been slimmed down, but the body of the suit (minus the waist suppression) was not originally made as slim-fitting, will this end up looking like a monstrosity????

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If your present tux will look altered and out of proportion it is not worth it.

If you wear a tux a few times every year, then a new one is a good investment. Her dress is going in a box forever after she wears it. The tux has utility after the wedding.

Sounds like the tux you have and your current personal style are out of sync.

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
Shortening sleeves, as long as you don't have working button holes, is easy to do. If you have working button holes, then you have little or no cloth at the cuff that can be removed, so you have to shorten from the shoulder, which is expensive.

The waist of the jacket can also be slimmed relatively easily, but if the chest also needs to be slimmed, that is a lot of work.

If you alter any one dimension of the jacket too much, it could throw parts of the suit out of balance in relation to each other. A number of small alterations on various parts should improve things, not create a monstrosity.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.