Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Slimming in "vintage" dress pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by afc345, Oct 22, 2010.

1. afc345

afc345 Senior member

Hi,

I just bought this seemingly vintage Brooks Brothers suit off eBay to kick around during christmas etc. The problem is, upon receiving it and trying it on, the pants were ridicilously large around my thighs and legs. There's also a lot of excess material in the seat. Now I want these pants to be more slim fitting, can a tailor do something to tailor these pants down to a pair of slim looking pants at a resonable price, or should I buy new ones?

The suit is in 100% wool and otherwise a nice fitting suit, but these pants are killing me aesthatically [​IMG]

2. comrade

comrade Senior member

Hi,

I just bought this seemingly vintage Brooks Brothers suit off eBay to kick around during christmas etc. The problem is, upon receiving it and trying it on, the pants were ridicilously large around my thighs and legs. There's also a lot of excess material in the seat. Now I want these pants to be more slim fitting, can a tailor do something to tailor these pants down to a pair of slim looking pants at a resonable price, or should I buy new ones?

The suit is in 100% wool and otherwise a nice fitting suit, but these pants are killing me aesthatically [​IMG]

Find the best tailor you can in your area. I have no idea where you live, but if there is a very
    high-end mens store or Department store like Nieman Marcus, ask them to recommend a tailor.
    Doing an excellent job and "reasonable price" are often mutually exclusive. Taking in trousers
    properly requires real skill. The place that does your jeans or cuffs your slacks may not be up
    to this job.

3. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Hi,

A tailor can take them in.

Brooks trou in the 60s and 70s were cut generously, but that's the aesthetic - it allowed you to wear them at the proper height (waist) and still have enough room to move, sit, put things in your pockets, etc.

I'm assuming you're a much younger guy? I'd be wary of taking them in too much - it might throw off the balance of the cut of the coat, which I'm guessing is a sack jacket?

Pics might help.

4. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

A tailor can take them in.

Brooks trou in the 60s and 70s were cut generously, but that's the aesthetic - it allowed you to wear them at the proper height (waist) and still have enough room to move, sit, put things in your pockets, etc.

I'm assuming you're a much younger guy? I'd be wary of taking them in too much - it might throw off the balance of the cut of the coat, which I'm guessing is a sack jacket?

Pics might help.

+1 to all this. Full trousers are orders of magnitude more awesome.

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Hi,

And if you plan on slimming the trousers despite our advice to the contrary, I'll buy the suit off you so you can get another suit with slimmer trousers, so long as you're a 38R.

6. afc345

afc345 Senior member

I'm a pretty young guy, 20 years old. I do not want an old man's pants. I've pretty much settled on getting new pants, though I think it is going to be quite hard to find pants in a quality to match the suit jacket The jacket is not really a sack jacket, I find it to be quite slim and well fitting actually, but it is a quite short jacket, so I would like some advice on what kind of "rise" I have to pick on my new pants. I'm based in Norway if that would be any help [​IMG]

Here is a link to the auction, please let me know if you can view it or not.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_4423wt_905

7. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

I'm a pretty young guy, 20 years old. I do not want an old man's pants. I've pretty much settled on getting new pants, though I think it is going to be quite hard to find pants in a quality to match the suit jacket The jacket is not really a sack jacket, I find it to be quite slim and well fitting actually, but it is a quite short jacket, so I would like some advice on what kind of "rise" I have to pick on my new pants. I'm based in Norway if that would be any help [​IMG] Here is a link to the auction, please let me know if you can view it or not. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_4423wt_905
    Dude, that suit is awesome as it is! Leave it be. Also, that's a sack jacket. Don't let the name "sack" make you think "fits like a tent". Sacks are tailored clothing too! [​IMG] Wear it with pride! If you really want a slim-fitting suit, go buy one at a mainline shop in Norway, like Topman or whatever you have over there. Let the Brooks Brothers suit be a Brooks Brothers suit.

8. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

two pleats on the pants would explain its "generosity" possible to get those removed?

9. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I'm a pretty young guy, 20 years old. I do not want an old man's pants. I've pretty much settled on getting new pants, though I think it is going to be quite hard to find pants in a quality to match the suit jacket The jacket is not really a sack jacket, I find it to be quite slim and well fitting actually, but it is a quite short jacket, so I would like some advice on what kind of "rise" I have to pick on my new pants. I'm based in Norway if that would be any help [​IMG]

Here is a link to the auction, please let me know if you can view it or not.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_4423wt_905

I'm 26. Hardly an old man.

It is going to be impossible to find pants that match that jacket. Fabric needs to be the same. You'll look silly with pants that are close, but not matching.

Secondly, that suit's at least 20-30 years old. It's not going to fit like a modern slim fit fashonista suit. If you want one of those, go to H&M.

Third - how tall are you? It might be that a 38S is too short, period.

And finally - wear the pants at your waist, not your hips. I imagine that if you wear your pants at a proper height, you'll notice that they actually fit quite well.

For example - these pants have a similar cut and are quite high rise, but they don't look huge when worn properly:
    [​IMG]

10. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

two pleats on the pants would explain its "generosity" possible to get those removed?

It's not worth the money, especially if OPs looking for a bargain bin price for a slim fit modern suit, which that Brooks isn't and won't ever be.

11. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Dude, that suit is awesome as it is! Leave it be.

Also, that's a sack jacket. Don't let the name "sack" make you think "fits like a tent". Sacks are tailored clothing too! [​IMG] Wear it with pride!

If you really want a slim-fitting suit, go buy one at a mainline shop in Norway, like Topman or whatever you have over there. Let the Brooks Brothers suit be a Brooks Brothers suit.

It's not a sack. Sacks have no front darts. This one has them.

The suit is from the 80s or 90s.

If you take it in too much in the seat or the legs, you will pull the pleats apart and look like a big-butt man (in a bad way). You may be able to remove the pleats, but not easily or cheaply.

12. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

It's not a sack. Sacks have no front darts. This one has them.

Ahh... I couldn't see them in the photo. My bad. [​IMG]

13. afc345

afc345 Senior member

Thanks guys, guess I could move it on or simply suck it up and wear it.
    Luftvier: Your suit looks great, but as it is a DB jacket, you don't notice the high rise pants, which would be all too noticeable in this suit. I might not have mentioned it, but I'm either going to use this as a go-to suit for christmas parties with friends and family, or simply a suit to wear when going out for binge christmas parties which recuires a suit with collegues from work or get-togethers which happen in Norway during pre-christmas time.
    So either I will be wearing this suit with my family, who will not take too much notice of it, or in a more alcohol laden enviremoment with friends and girls I'm trying to pick up.

14. afc345

afc345 Senior member

Also, would it look ridicilous to pair the jacket up with some coloured checkered pants to add flair? [​IMG]
    Thinking a shirt, v-neck, maybe a tie under it.

15. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

Luftvier: Your suit looks great, but as it is a DB jacket, you don't notice the high rise pants, which would be all too noticeable in this suit.

This does not sound like a problem. You can't imagine the trouble I have trying to find pants that sit on the waist.