Slim Wallet/Credit Card Holder

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dietcookie, Feb 19, 2005.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Trafalgar. Just use the credit card/ID insert. Leave the rest at home.

And keep your stuff in you hip pocket. Apart from detering pickpockets (an endemic problem in European countries, esp. Spain and Italy), it'll keep you from future back problems.

2. stache

stache Senior member

I weed out extra stuff in my wallet almost every day. Does anybody else do this too?

3. Horace

Horace Senior member

At first, this was only complaint.  But I don't think the logo is too conspicuous, or at least not freakishly so.  And I don't think too many will notice it, no?

Also, Gentlemen:  

none of you have mentioned the notecase for wear in the coat pocket.  This is my favorite, and you don't have the back problems.  Of course you must be wearing a coat.

I found something at Harrods once, I think it was by Launer, but I have been unable to find since, that was the thinest notecase I'd ever seen.  It was double-sided, without flap.  Perfect for evenings out.

Edit: I think they might call the type of wallet I am (attempting) to describe, an "opera case".

4. paul44

paul44 Member

Launer makes some well-priced quality leather wallets, handmade. Royal Appointment to the Queen for leathergoods, I believe.

Just very thin wallets, especially for breast pockets in jackets. It's what I use for a nicer-looking one.

5. bch

bch Senior member

The Swiss Army "Equity" model is the best wallet I've ever owned. It's super thin, holds 4 credit cards, a driver's license behind a mesh screen, and has an interior money clip. I liked it so much I bought another for when the first wears out. Check it out here: Equity Wallet

6. topcatny

topcatny Senior member

I also gave up on carrying a wallet. It was always uncomfortable to sit and I ended up carrying too much unnecessary stuff in it. I started carrying a Tumi moneyclip card case. I have used this one for 4 years and it is now falling apart so I need to find a better quality one, but I will definitely look for the same style. Incidentally I found this exact case on clearance at Bloomingdale's for $10. So it looks like I have another 4 years or so before I need to replace it.

7. PHV

PHV Senior member

Wouldn't it be easier to steal from your hip pockets, as they have looser entry?

8. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

(LA Guy @ Feb. 19 2005,20:13) Trafalgar. Â Just use the credit card/ID insert. Â Leave the rest at home. Â And keep your stuff in you hip pocket. Â Apart from detering pickpockets (an endemic problem in European countries, esp. Spain and Italy), it'll keep you from future back problems.
    Wouldn't it be easier to steal from your hip pockets, as they have looser entry?
    No, because your arms generally swing back and forth across your hip pockets, making them harder pockets to pick.

9. MCA

MCA Well-Known Member

I dislike moneyclips. I find them, er... insanitary. I prefer to keep money concealed and not rubbing against the internal pocketing of my precious trousers or coats. I'm sure the other germ freaks of the World agree with me.

My quest for the perfect, thin, billfold has not yet ended. I've looked into bespoke but the prices I've seen so far are a little beyond my reach.

10. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

This site may be of interest: Pickett I have visited their shop (and bought a Launer wallet in saddle leather); their products are very high quality. They also make bespoke items and I read somewhere that their bespoke prices are considered reasonable, though this may be relative.

11. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

(LA Guy @ Feb. 19 2005,20:13) Trafalgar. Â Just use the credit card/ID insert. Â Leave the rest at home. Â And keep your stuff in you hip pocket. Â Apart from detering pickpockets (an endemic problem in European countries, esp. Spain and Italy), it'll keep you from future back problems.
    You'd be far more likely to see the pickpocket coming, since they'd be well within at least your peripheral and likely your regular line of sight. Back pockets are pretty much fair game, unless you've got eyes on stalks or somesuch.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Having both been the victim of a pickpocket and knowing several, I can tell you that a good one will get you no matter what, unless you have one of those strapped around your waist contraptions, and the pickpocket is not your significant other. I saw a guy who demonstrated how he could even remove the wallet chain *and* take the wallet from the hip pocket from a rather snug pair of 501s. It was really amazing. A guy like that should have been making honest money doing majic tricks, as should have the guy who took my wallet in Barcelona (bastard.)

The back pocket, on the other hand, is incredibly easy to snipe. I did it a couple of times to friends of friends on a bet (with the friend - the friend of the friend being the unwilling and unknowing subject of our *experiments*), and my pickpocket skills are, um, non-existant. Big, thick wallets that leave a gape in the back pocket are nearly too easy, especially in cramped quarters like public transportation.

13. joviides

joviides New Member

My pickpocketing experience was thwarted, thankfully, by my having on baggy pants & pockets w/ a relatively small opening: because of vague definition, it was impossible for the thief to manipulate my wallet w/o obvious attention. It was sort of like trying to squeeze out toothpaste w/o first collection the unused material of the tube: the tighter, the easier to extract.

Now, my mother has a Comme des Garcons zipper wallet that is thin, conceals the cash, and has a pocket for a couple of cards/coins. I find the laborious act of folding cash into a card holder not worth the size trade-off. Bill Amberg has thin wallet options -- plus their leather quality is excellent.

Good luck on the eternal search.

14. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Budget: Hartmann Mid-Priced: Ghurka -- Great leather, but the logo is rather conspicuous Mulholland Brothers -- Tough to find outside San Francisco, STP had a few on their site awhile back Expensive: Asprey had a nice one last season. I dunno what they have in stock right now. Surprisingly, Testoni also makes nice small leather goods, though I cannot attest to the longterm quality. As a longshot, you might also want to check out Bally. I bought a small bi-fold/coin purse for my mom 2-years ago that looks practically brand new (beige pebbled calf).

15. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I just bought a light brown pebble grained Mulholland wallet (breast pocket size) on STP (for FARMER)-last one. There are two available right now on EBay (black or tan suede). Mulholland now makes some (but not all) of their products offshore (they emailed me about this)-the older ones, like the STP I bought, are still made in USA. Swaine Adeney prices for a bridle hide wallet now about $200.00.

I have a black Dunhill slim credit card holder too. If I like the Mulholland, I'll probably sell it on this website (price will be low).