• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim vs. Stupid Tight - Proper Fit Help

DeadDJ

Reaction score
I'm buying a very slim trench coat. I'd like to to stay as slim as possible without being constricting. I'm a 36" chest. Converted from metric, a medium is 36.22" while a large is 37.4". There is also a shoulder issue. Measured for a TaT suit, my front of shoulder measurement is 16.5" while back of shoulders is 17.75-18". The medium is 16.14" while a large is 16.73".

I realize these are rather minor differences but would the medium be too small? I have no plans on layering with it as it will be my spring/early fall jacket. Also, it will be a little longer on me than the model as I'm apparently a little shorter than the him but the shortness does not bother me at all.

http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.a...9&section=men&
NpfeelTrench.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if your chest really measures 36", the 36 should work. I measure 39" and I usually wear 36 suits, sometimes 38 cut slim

spacemanvt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
if your chest really measures 36", the 36 should work. I measure 39" and I usually wear 36 suits, sometimes 38 cut slim

thats not extremely tight?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt
That's a nice coat. I don't think it's too tight either.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would go with the large. i ordered a jacket from yesstyle.com and they erred on the side of being a bit small.

the quality is really really shoddy though, so buyer beware. it's simply horrendous, with off-set pockets, buttons, etc.

that jacket itself is a bit busy for me, with those weird pseudo-gun flaps, weird button on the back,, and the extra buttons on the pockets (which will fall off soon anyway). just remember - if you're shorter than the guy it's going to be hard to alter those sleeves, since there are those sleeve button thingies.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
i would go with the large. i ordered a jacket from yesstyle.com and they erred on the side of being a bit small.
Could you tell me how big you are and perhaps what you ordered? I'm 5'7" 140lbs so XS fits me in certain brands. Thanks for the heads up on quality. I've actually heard mixed reports on quality which people attributed to the different brands as opposed to the whole site. Either way I'll make a post so there's more for other people to search for. The busy design along with the slim fit is what I liked about it. Who knows why. I considered the sleeves - they only go up like .5" per size so it's going to be about the same amount of tailoring no matter what and I can deal with the cost of the alteration.
Originally Posted by JayJay
That's a nice coat. I don't think it's too tight either.
I think spacemanvt was asking the poster above if wearing that small of a coat on his frame wasn't uncomfortably tight.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spacemanvt

when I say I wear 36 or 38, i mean the tagged size. A 36 usually measures 38 or 39". I have an 8 inch drop to my waist so it looks better than getting a true 38-40 which typically have a 7 inch drop.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
Could you tell me how big you are and perhaps what you ordered? I'm 5'7" 140lbs so XS fits me in certain brands. Thanks for the heads up on quality. I've actually heard mixed reports on quality which people attributed to the different brands as opposed to the whole site. Either way I'll make a post so there's more for other people to search for. The busy design along with the slim fit is what I liked about it. Who knows why. I considered the sleeves - they only go up like .5" per size so it's going to be about the same amount of tailoring no matter what and I can deal with the cost of the alteration.
i'm the same height, i have 8 pounds on you (as of right now!). S fits me in most brands, because i have broader shoulders than the normal stereotypical asian, and certainly japanese clothing do not fit me in the shoulders. i ordered a size L dufflecoat, and had to get the sleeves shortened about 2 inches to get it to the end of my wrist bone. taking up the sleeves shouldn't be too bad, around $10-$20 per sleeve, depending on where/who you go. here is the coat i ordered: http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.aspx?pid=1005139426 you can check out the measurements and compare them yourself. i think the M would have fit fine as well, there being minimal differences in measurements from M to L.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when I say I wear 36 or 38, i mean the tagged size. A 36 usually measures 38 or 39". I have an 8 inch drop to my waist so it looks better than getting a true 38-40 which typically have a 7 inch drop.

are you measuring your chest expanded or contracted?

i measure out at 41.5 contracted and wear a size 42 jacket.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Thanks, very helpful.

i'm the same height, i have 8 pounds on you (as of right now!).
here is the coat i ordered:
http://www.yesstyle.com/en/Product.aspx?pid=1005139426

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I love this coat. I might have to order one, actually.

EDIT: Wow, that whole brand is really awesome.

I keep forgetting most azn fashion brands have their model's measurements (and, uh, home pages) on their site. I headed over to the NPFeel site with google translator though it didn't help (ze google, zey do nussing!). However I did find this, which I assume is the model's measurements and size he's wearing.
-모델 사이즈: 178cm / 65kg (5'10" / 143lbs)
-착용사이즈 : M Size

Basically he's me + 3" wearing a medium. Looks like I'll be getting a medium with a lot of sleeve adjustment. I was expecting about the price you quoted for sleeve alteration as I work with a pretty decent tailor. Stupid stubby arms...

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by NoVaguy
are you measuring your chest expanded or contracted?

i measure out at 41.5 contracted and wear a size 42 jacket.

Yeah this sounds very strange to me as well. A size 36 jacket, as you already pointed out, usually measures 38 or 39" on the outside. Also take into account 1 or 2", thereabout, for thickness of jacket fabric and room for your dress shirt. It is very hard to imagine a true 39" chest person wearing a size 36 jacket.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
Thanks, very helpful.

I keep forgetting most azn fashion brands have their model's measurements (and, uh, home pages) on their site. I headed over to the NPFeel site with google translator though it didn't help (ze google, zey do nussing!). However I did find this, which I assume is the model's measurements and size he's wearing.
-모델 사이즈: 178cm / 65kg (5'10" / 143lbs)
-착용사이즈 : M Size

Basically he's me + 3" wearing a medium. Looks like I'll be getting a medium with a lot of sleeve adjustment. I was expecting about the price you quoted for sleeve alteration as I work with a pretty decent tailor. Stupid stubby arms...

remember - those asian models are REALLY REALLY skinny! hope it fits you and post pics when you get it (shipping takes around 3 weeks).

DeadDJ

Reaction score
remember - those asian models are REALLY REALLY skinny! hope it fits you and post pics when you get it (shipping takes around 3 weeks).
You, as an apparently normal sized human, are an azn aberration. I'm Asian too and I have the same build as that model. Same waist, height, shorter but still very skinny. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll definitely post pictures when I get it.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the TaT shoulder measurements you gave are accurate, I'm almost certain neither of these is going to fit you. Shoulders first, chest second.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads