• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Suits: The Attraction Is Physical

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From today's NYT: the new slim suit fashion diffusing through various lines. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/08/fa...ml?ref=fashion Most of is it the usual fashion churn -- out with the old, in with the new, but Me like: Slim cut coat, less padding, narrow lapel, higher armhole. Me no like: Highwater pants, dress pants too low on the hips. The overall trend is for the suit to shift from armor to sheath, allowing men to more fully enjoy the body issues that women have dealt with for decades. For further trend alignment, see the basketball uniform story on the same NYT section page.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like this trend. Except for the lower waisted trousers, it seems this is the classic Sixties Continental style of Alain Delon or Marcello Mastriani. My favorites.
inlove.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
slim suits need to exist as a necessity, not as a trend. As that article points out, when a slimmer fella puts on a suit OTR, it's always way too big around the waist, shoulders, armholes etc.

and it's irksome to hear opinions from size 46+ fellas that bemoan the slim suit as being just a fashion trend, just because they can only get one leg into the entire waist of the trousers. *yawn*

bryce330

Reaction score
I didn't realize Helmut Lang invented the high armhole.

vanity

Reaction score
Being 'trendy' with suits seems to be an extremely expensive endeavor.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
slim suits need to exist as a necessity, not as a trend. As that article points out, when a slimmer fella puts on a suit OTR, it's always way too big around the waist, shoulders, armholes etc.

and it's irksome to hear opinions from size 46+ fellas that bemoan the slim suit as being just a fashion trend, just because they can only get one leg into the entire waist of the trousers. *yawn*

QFT, says the man who's 6'3", 175 lbs. and was the same height and 40 lbs. lighter in high school.....

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
slim suits need to exist as a necessity, not as a trend. As that article points out, when a slimmer fella puts on a suit OTR, it's always way too big around the waist, shoulders...
nod[1].gif
Almost everything I find at retail is too loose/baggy. And I am not that skinny either, only between 155 and 160 lbs at 5"10 or so... The question is though, will this have a measurable effect on the larger scale sellers like mall places, MW, BB JAB etc. I doubt it.

Lysol

Reaction score
slim suits need to exist as a necessity, not as a trend. As that article points out, when a slimmer fella puts on a suit OTR, it's always way too big around the waist, shoulders, armholes etc. and it's irksome to hear opinions from size 46+ fellas that bemoan the slim suit as being just a fashion trend, just because they can only get one leg into the entire waist of the trousers. *yawn*
+1 though to be fair, i think most people's perception of the "slim suit" as a fashion trend stems from the fact that, with few exceptions, most labels making a slim suit cater to a very trendy audience and are making very for-the-minute fashions -- prada, d&g, jil sander, dior -- just look at the examples in the article.

mizanation

Reaction score
yeah, i appreciate the historical relevance of the sack suit, but come on, a slim fitted suit always looks great. when i went to thailand, i had a tailor make me a perfectly slim suit. much slimmer than what he is used to making for european hippies. the results were great, now i can't wait to go back to have him make me more suits in grey, brown and navy.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not mind the look of the jackets and not even the low waist of the trousers (actually, my more recent suits do not have much highter waists, maybe I should be concerned about it), but these very narrow and short legs of the trouser look awful, IMO (maybe that is one more thing I should be concerned about).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I don't like the too-short trouser lengths either. No-break is as high as I'll go. Whereas I don't see the slimcut suit as "fashion", I do see highwater trousers as fleeting fashion.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce330
I didn't realize Helmut Lang invented the high armhole.
crackup[1].gif
The sad part is that 95% of people reading that article will believe that Helmut Lang really did invent high armholes.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just realised that the trousers are not cuffed... Horror!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"A few years ago, you could distinguish what was Armani, what was Brioni, what was Prada," said Salvatore Cristiano of L&S Custom Tailors, who has been altering and making clothes for men on the Upper East Side for 33 years. "Now you can't tell the difference."
eh.gif

"It's kind of fancy-casual. You can get dressed up in it, or you can rock sneakers with it, which is what I did for my wedding."
butbut.gif

Though you can track elements of the look to the influence of a designer "” the shorter jacket and pants can be credited to Hedi Slimane and Thom Browne, the two-button stance to Tom Ford, the high armhole to Helmut Lang, the skinny lapel to Jil Sander, the flat-front pants to Romeo Gigli...
Mmhmm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads