Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Slim Suits: The Attraction Is Physical

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mack11211, Mar 8, 2007.

1. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

From today's NYT: the new slim suit fashion diffusing through various lines. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/08/fa...ml?ref=fashion Most of is it the usual fashion churn -- out with the old, in with the new, but Me like: Slim cut coat, less padding, narrow lapel, higher armhole. Me no like: Highwater pants, dress pants too low on the hips. The overall trend is for the suit to shift from armor to sheath, allowing men to more fully enjoy the body issues that women have dealt with for decades. For further trend alignment, see the basketball uniform story on the same NYT section page.

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like this trend. Except for the lower waisted trousers, it seems this is the classic Sixties Continental style of Alain Delon or Marcello Mastriani. My favorites. [​IMG]

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

slim suits need to exist as a necessity, not as a trend. As that article points out, when a slimmer fella puts on a suit OTR, it's always way too big around the waist, shoulders, armholes etc.

and it's irksome to hear opinions from size 46+ fellas that bemoan the slim suit as being just a fashion trend, just because they can only get one leg into the entire waist of the trousers. *yawn*

4. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

I didn't realize Helmut Lang invented the high armhole.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

And the question mark.

6. vanity

vanity Senior member

Being 'trendy' with suits seems to be an extremely expensive endeavor.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

slim suits need to exist as a necessity, not as a trend. As that article points out, when a slimmer fella puts on a suit OTR, it's always way too big around the waist, shoulders, armholes etc.

and it's irksome to hear opinions from size 46+ fellas that bemoan the slim suit as being just a fashion trend, just because they can only get one leg into the entire waist of the trousers. *yawn*

QFT, says the man who's 6'3", 175 lbs. and was the same height and 40 lbs. lighter in high school.....

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

slim suits need to exist as a necessity, not as a trend. As that article points out, when a slimmer fella puts on a suit OTR, it's always way too big around the waist, shoulders...
    [​IMG] Almost everything I find at retail is too loose/baggy. And I am not that skinny either, only between 155 and 160 lbs at 5"10 or so... The question is though, will this have a measurable effect on the larger scale sellers like mall places, MW, BB JAB etc. I doubt it.

9. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

slim suits need to exist as a necessity, not as a trend. As that article points out, when a slimmer fella puts on a suit OTR, it's always way too big around the waist, shoulders, armholes etc. and it's irksome to hear opinions from size 46+ fellas that bemoan the slim suit as being just a fashion trend, just because they can only get one leg into the entire waist of the trousers. *yawn*
    +1 though to be fair, i think most people's perception of the "slim suit" as a fashion trend stems from the fact that, with few exceptions, most labels making a slim suit cater to a very trendy audience and are making very for-the-minute fashions -- prada, d&g, jil sander, dior -- just look at the examples in the article.

10. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

yeah, i appreciate the historical relevance of the sack suit, but come on, a slim fitted suit always looks great. when i went to thailand, i had a tailor make me a perfectly slim suit. much slimmer than what he is used to making for european hippies. the results were great, now i can't wait to go back to have him make me more suits in grey, brown and navy.

11. epa

epa Senior member

I do not mind the look of the jackets and not even the low waist of the trousers (actually, my more recent suits do not have much highter waists, maybe I should be concerned about it), but these very narrow and short legs of the trouser look awful, IMO (maybe that is one more thing I should be concerned about).

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I don't like the too-short trouser lengths either. No-break is as high as I'll go. Whereas I don't see the slimcut suit as "fashion", I do see highwater trousers as fleeting fashion.

13. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

[​IMG] The sad part is that 95% of people reading that article will believe that Helmut Lang really did invent high armholes.

14. epa

epa Senior member

I just realised that the trousers are not cuffed... Horror!

15. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mmhmm.