• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim suit & wide tie...taboo?

jays978

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a job interview coming up. I'm torn between two ties. I plan on wearing a RLBL anthony suit. It's rather slim, so it's a no brainer to sport the slimmer tie (3") rather than the wider (3.5"). I'm torn between the two though. The slim is striped and doesn't allow for a dimple. The wide is a nice conservative color, but is well, wide. Any advice is welcomed.

beansprouts1

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have found that the 3'' tie fits my RLBL better, especially since it has thinner lapels. I'm also only a size 38, so I find that the wider ties sometimes look disproportionate in relationship to my chest size, especially when I'm wearing slimmer clothing.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jays978
Hey guys,

I have a job interview coming up. I'm torn between two ties. I plan on wearing a RLBL anthony suit. It's rather slim, so it's a no brainer to sport the slimmer tie (3") rather than the wider (3.5"). I'm torn between the two though. The slim is striped and doesn't allow for a dimple. The wide is a nice conservative color, but is well, wide. Any advice is welcomed.

Well, I never thought it was a problem until I started coming here and now I'm ultra conscious about it.
I spent most of the week interviewing others - don't think I disparaged anyone based on their lapel versus tie width ratio. Most of the time, they were at a table and I could only see chest up anyway.

I have the same suit, 3" is not that slim. You can pull it off. I saw a VP from a big broker of ours who wore a 2.5" Ben Sherman tie to one of our meetings.

I think if you wear a 2" tie then you're asking for trouble. Although I have the same BBBF suit as gregaz has been sporting in WAYWN and with those type of lapels, it's hard to wear any tie that doesn't look like it walked off the set of Mad Men.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLBL Anthony lapels have drifted in width from ~3.25 down to ~3.0" FWIW.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like 3.5" ties with my black label, but also wear ties down to 2.75" wide.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More importantly, I really doubt an interviewer will notably care about, or even notice the discrepancy between a 3.0" lapel and a 3.5" tie.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for congruency in the interview. Dimples are overrated and are often done poorly.
Originally Posted by ramuman
More importantly, I really doubt an interviewer will notably care about, or even notice the discrepancy between a 3.0" lapel and a 3.5" tie.
But that is probably correct.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, you never know - it's an interview.

I just returned a 3.5" BB tie that just looked too wide w/a new BB Madison (? - the newer model w/the narrower lapels, etc). The colors were great but when I tried the suit w/a slimmer tie I like it better.

Chim12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I like 3.5" ties with my black label, but also wear ties down to 2.75" wide.

+1, and to me a 3.5" tie is not that wide. Be more concerned with the fabric and the pattern than the size, and be sure you hit a nice dimple.
Good luck with the interview!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one has ever landed a job wearing an Anthony suit...ever.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
Tie width should be related to lapel width. If the lapels are really skinny, go with the skinny tie. Otherwise, if both look good, choose whichever one you like better.
I agree with this.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLBL Lapels are not as slim as most people think, if you look they roll out pretty far for a slim suit, I think you can get away with wider ties and a BL suit more often than with many other "slim" suits. I think 3.5" would be fine is really want to wear that tie. Anything bigger is a no.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads