• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Shorts

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With summer coming up I was thinking about some new outfits. I'm looking for a pair of shorts that are cut and look like slim fitting suit pants, hitting the knee or just past it. Colour-wise I'm thinking grey or a good check. Any recommendations or should I just have something made?

A.

phaedrus

Reaction score
Last summer went the option of cutting up a pair DIY style, from old pants found in an op-shop. I cuffed them as well, because they were from an old trouser they were slimmer than what was available from stores at the time.

Max

Reaction score
The seemingly obvious thing to do here is to get a pair of slim-fitting suit pants, a pair of scissors, and a sewing machine.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
You might look like you're wearing capris. I'm of the ilk that thinks shorts should be baggy as hell.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
You might look like you're wearing capris.
I want to avoid that, and that's why I want them hitting where board shorts would hit you (right at the knee or just below it). I just want something slim that I can wear with a polo and a pair of low-cut Chucks for BBQ's and the like.

I don't know why I never thought of just buying some pants and getting a pair of scissors...to the thrift store I go. Thanks guys.

A.

Metal Circus

Reaction score
You could infuriate trads with Thom Browne.
TBP5.jpg

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
You might look like you're wearing capris. I'm of the ilk that thinks shorts should be baggy as hell.

Definitely. Personally, I also like all my shorts to have cargo pockets - they just don't seem right without them. Especially in summer I use them a lot - stuff em with a pack of smokes and a few cans of beer.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Definitely. Personally, I also like all my shorts to have cargo pockets - they just don't seem right without them. Especially in summer I use them a lot - stuff em with a pack of smokes and a few cans of beer.
Yeah, that's why I want them to hit at the knees, like board shorts. I actually think I might be able to use a pair of pants that I have that are never worn for this project.

A.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plaids and checks are a good idea.

Ahaz

Reaction score
It's probably not what you're looking for, but my favorite pair of shorts is a pair of $20 Old Navy pants that I cut down. They're slimmer than most shorts out there, although they're still not very slim. I wear them very casually, as you can see, what with the paint stains and frayed hem.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't think of any way that truly slim fit shorts wouldn't look feminine.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingKongLives
yeah wouldn't real slim shorts look a bit strange
I'm not talking skin tight here, that would look really weird. It's just that every pair of shorts I ever see are always baggy. I'm thinking of something that is the length of a board short but the width of a slimmish trouser, nothing extreme. I just want something that will follow the line of a slim polo and some low cut Chucks or thin flip-flops. I think I have a candidate pair of pants. They're a grey flat front POW check that were hemmed incorrectly for me. I was thinking about donating them, but now they're going to this little project. I'll post pics when I'm done. A.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case I'd suggest the Ahaz route and cut some chinos down. Seems to me that wool trousers would make for some odd shorts.

Metal Circus

Reaction score
Skintight shorts from pants have been done. There's an art high school in Orange County that really digs them, though they're more into vintage running shorts these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads