1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Slim Shorts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Aaron, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

With summer coming up I was thinking about some new outfits. I'm looking for a pair of shorts that are cut and look like slim fitting suit pants, hitting the knee or just past it. Colour-wise I'm thinking grey or a good check. Any recommendations or should I just have something made?

A.

2. phaedrus

phaedrus Senior member

Last summer went the option of cutting up a pair DIY style, from old pants found in an op-shop. I cuffed them as well, because they were from an old trouser they were slimmer than what was available from stores at the time.

3. Max

Max Senior member

The seemingly obvious thing to do here is to get a pair of slim-fitting suit pants, a pair of scissors, and a sewing machine.

4. ken

ken Senior member

You might look like you're wearing capris. I'm of the ilk that thinks shorts should be baggy as hell.

5. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

You might look like you're wearing capris.
    I want to avoid that, and that's why I want them hitting where board shorts would hit you (right at the knee or just below it). I just want something slim that I can wear with a polo and a pair of low-cut Chucks for BBQ's and the like.

I don't know why I never thought of just buying some pants and getting a pair of scissors...to the thrift store I go. Thanks guys.

A.

6. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

You could infuriate trads with Thom Browne.
    [​IMG]

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

You might look like you're wearing capris. I'm of the ilk that thinks shorts should be baggy as hell.

Definitely. Personally, I also like all my shorts to have cargo pockets - they just don't seem right without them. Especially in summer I use them a lot - stuff em with a pack of smokes and a few cans of beer.

8. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

Definitely. Personally, I also like all my shorts to have cargo pockets - they just don't seem right without them. Especially in summer I use them a lot - stuff em with a pack of smokes and a few cans of beer.
    Yeah, that's why I want them to hit at the knees, like board shorts. I actually think I might be able to use a pair of pants that I have that are never worn for this project.

A.

9. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Plaids and checks are a good idea.

10. Ahaz

Ahaz Senior member

It's probably not what you're looking for, but my favorite pair of shorts is a pair of $20 Old Navy pants that I cut down. They're slimmer than most shorts out there, although they're still not very slim. I wear them very casually, as you can see, what with the paint stains and frayed hem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I can't think of any way that truly slim fit shorts wouldn't look feminine.

12. KingKongLives

KingKongLives Active Member

yeah wouldn't real slim shorts look a bit strange

13. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

yeah wouldn't real slim shorts look a bit strange
    I'm not talking skin tight here, that would look really weird. It's just that every pair of shorts I ever see are always baggy. I'm thinking of something that is the length of a board short but the width of a slimmish trouser, nothing extreme. I just want something that will follow the line of a slim polo and some low cut Chucks or thin flip-flops. I think I have a candidate pair of pants. They're a grey flat front POW check that were hemmed incorrectly for me. I was thinking about donating them, but now they're going to this little project. I'll post pics when I'm done. A.

14. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

In that case I'd suggest the Ahaz route and cut some chinos down. Seems to me that wool trousers would make for some odd shorts.

15. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

Skintight shorts from pants have been done. There's an art high school in Orange County that really digs them, though they're more into vintage running shorts these days.

16. j

j Senior member Admin

In that case I'd suggest the Ahaz route and cut some chinos down. Seems to me that wool trousers would make for some odd shorts.
    I have a tan tropical wool-and-mohair Chester Barrie suit whose pants have bad problems at the far end. I'm seriously considering cutting the pants down to a pair of shorts, since I don't think they can be salvaged. I'll post pics if I do.

17. KingKongLives

KingKongLives Active Member

Skintight shorts from pants have been done. There's an art high school in Orange County that really digs them, though they're more into vintage running shorts these days.

hmm

could you elaborate on this?

i've never heard of this... then again i don't know too many people from that school.

18. cgeezy

cgeezy Active Member

shorts from pants
    Those look nice, and that's a good idea thank you.