Slim shirts, conveniently?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mbc, Dec 5, 2004.

1. mbc

mbc Senior member

So, I wear 40R suits but I have a 32 inch waist, which usually means that RTW dress shirts (or even casual shirts) tend to fit me like a tent around the midsection. I'm looking for some slimmer fitting shirts for either dressy or casual occasions... the brands I tend to look at (almost entirely because of fit) are Guess, Ben Sherman, and some of the more clubwear-ish Kenneth Cole, but most of the time those are much more outlandish in terms of style and appearance than I'd really like. I'm trying to find some shirts in simple stripes, checked patterns, or even solid colors that'll fit me a little better.

And the best part is, of course, that I can't afford to go about spending $150 per shirt.

Any thoughts on what brands I should be looking for? I'm perfectly willing to go about picking through discount bins at Off 5th and Nordstrom Rack, but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for once I'm there.

Thanks for the help.

2. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

The consensus around here seems to be Jantzen Tailor, but turnaround is slow. Â Do a search and you'll find a ton. Personally, I've got the same problem, 40S w/31" waist; I have an Emporio Armani casual shirt that fits like a second skin. Â (Don't laugh. Â It was cheap.) Apparently Germans tend to be built like Americans, I can't get anything slim-cut here any better than I could in the States. Tom

3. mbc

mbc Senior member

Yeah I've been considering Jantzen for a while, but the comments about turnaround time have put me off to any attempts...

4. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

I have to recommend Jantzen. I am probably more upset about the poor customer service than most, but you have to look at any shirt you order from them as investment, albeit a long, long-term investment. Calling on the phone every month or so is helpful.

5. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I have the same problem, as I am a 42R and have a 30.5" wasit.  When I don't go the MTM route (which is usually more of my casual wear), I take my shirts to my tailor and have them altered for $20.

6. ken

ken Banned by Request

H&M.

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

If the shirts are for casual (non-tie) occasions, try getting them with a 1/2" or even an inch smaller collar size. The body and shoulders size correspond to the collar size of a RTW shirt. I sometimes pick up 15" when I'm really 15-1/2 to 16 depending on the collar height, because I almost never wear ties.

For dress shirts, the Polo "Philip" shirts are pretty close cut, and available from time to time at Marshalls etc. for ~$25. Really nice shirts at that price, actually.

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I agree, the "Philip" is ok. It is better than the "Curham" and far far better than the "Blake." Unfortunately, I have many of the latter two. The Philips are nice, and definitely worth it if you can get good sales.

9. shqiptar

shqiptar Well-Known Member

You could try the Zara stores. You would pay normally around $40 for a slim fitting shirt, and hey their quality is very good. The collars are usually big and trendy. Still have an oxford from them (almost 2 years old now.).

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

11. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Are you referring to Hugo Boss dress shirts? I'ts been my experience that they are huge in the body as well.

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

(Renault78law @ 05 Dec. 2004, 9:20) Try Hugo Hugo Boss.
    Are you referring to Hugo Boss dress shirts? I'ts been my experience that they are huge in the body as well.
    Boss Hugo Boss (black label) shirts are quite baggy. The Hugo Hugo Boss shirts (red label) are much slimmer. I.E. an XL will fit like many European designer's Larges and many American designer's Mediums

13. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

(scnupe7 @ 06 Dec. 2004, 08:51)
    Try Hugo Hugo Boss.
    Are you referring to Hugo Boss dress shirts? Â I'ts been my experience that they are huge in the body as well.
    Boss Hugo Boss (black label) shirts are quite baggy. Â The Hugo Hugo Boss shirts (red label) are much slimmer. Â I.E. an XL will fit like many European designer's Larges and many American designer's Mediums
    Okay. I stand corrected. I didn't realize he typed "Hugo Hugo Boss"

14. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

Both the "Philip" and "Estate" shirts are good IMHO. The Philip has a slightly higher collar and less of a spread then the Estate. Also, the Estate has a clean back where as the Philip has side pleats. I for one think the Estate is a closer cut.

15. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I'll chime in again for Ascot Chang. Tough to find since their only points of sale are in NYC and LA, but great slim fitting shirts for less than stratospheric prices (start @ $85, on sale after Xmas for half off).