slim leather jackets

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blackplatano, Sep 28, 2006.

1. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

2. ken

ken Banned by Request

Every leather jacket one likes is inherently too expensive. I'd go to the nearest big city and hit up a vintage or resale shop. They usually have a bunch (and the old ones seem to always fit better) in the 100-200 dollar range.

3. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I'm assuming he wants something more "designed" than a standard cafe racer, which a well fitting one can be bought for under $50 on ebay, or a new one from Vanson or Schott.

the search for the *right* leather jacket is elusive unless you have $$$ to spend

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I cringe to recommend Urban Outfitters, but their stores tend to carry a bunch of marked up vintage leather jackets. They're 3-4x the price you'd find in thrift stores, but it's usually a well-edited selection, and I assume they're cleaned.

I've tried a few, but I can't pull off jackets that slim. I always end up looking like David Brent.
    [​IMG]

6. Roy Biggins

Roy Biggins Senior member

I'm assuming he wants something more "designed" than a standard cafe racer, which a well fitting one can be bought for under $50 on ebay, or a new one from Vanson or Schott.

the search for the *right* leather jacket is elusive unless you have $$$ to spend

Are the Schott jackets made pretty slim?

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I dont know firsthand. Cafe racers are supposed to be worn tight so you'd think so.

8. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

the Schott quality seems a bit....er...

generally I believe YGWYPF.

9. romafan

romafan Senior member

10. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

Best bang for the buck if you want a "real" motorcycle leather jacket is Vanson, IMO. I just bought their Comet. They fit tightly like a true motorcycle jacket should fit and they're fairly reasonably priced. I'm roughly a 42 suit and the size 44 I bought is snug. Horsehide is the best way to go, just INCREDIBLY stiff and they take years to break in.

11. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

the Schott quality seems a bit....er...

generally I believe YGWYPF.

I hardly think Schott's quality is sub par. Many people still own jackets they bought in the 70's.

12. VMan

VMan Senior member

Yeah, I thought Schott's quality was pretty well regarded. They seem to make a tough jacket, designed to protect you somewhat if you are flung from your bike.

13. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

A $50 cafe racer sounds sweet, as long as it's funtional. I checked ebay and the ones i saw were full of holes etc. How often does a good one come along?

I check the vanson comet, it looks good but aren't there better options for $500+?

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/landing?id=content_4263

Theres some nice ones there ^^^ espeacially like the first one (armani) and the diesel.

14. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

A $50 cafe racer sounds sweet, as long as it's funtional. I checked ebay and the ones i saw were full of holes etc. How often does a good one come along?

I check the vanson comet, it looks good but aren't there better options for $500+?

http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/landing?id=content_4263

Theres some nice ones there ^^^ espeacially like the first one (armani) and the diesel.

I lucked out and found my Vanson Comet for $300 on e-bay, new. I believe retail is $399. The horsehide ones are over $500. It is extremely hard to find Vanson under retail because they're priced at what they're worth, not marked up outrageously like the designer stuff. Unless you actually ride, the Vanson stuff is pretty uncomfortable for streetwear.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I lucked out and found my Vanson Comet for $300 on e-bay, new. I believe retail is $399. The horsehide ones are over $500. It is extremely hard to find Vanson under retail because they're priced at what they're worth, not marked up outrageously like the designer stuff. Unless you actually ride, the Vanson stuff is pretty uncomfortable for streetwear.

Vanson actually has a "Metropolitan" line, which are their riders jackets redesigned for streetwear. The leather is still super tough, but much lighter than the originals, and also has more refined finishes and trims. Prices are in the $400-$600 range, I think.