Slim Khaki Pants - Longwings or chukka?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sonvolt10, Nov 7, 2012.

1. sonvolt10

sonvolt10 Well-Known Member

Starting a new job where casual fridays are the norm.

I anticipate my Friday uniform to consist of khaki and navy slacks.

Which shoe is more aesthetically pleasing and versatile, longwings or chukka boots (Alden, regardless)?

Thanks

2. jmills

jmills Senior member

That's pretty subjective, either will do, choose according to your own tastes. Are the chukkas suede?

3. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

It depends on what else you're wearing. Either could be a winner.

4. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

When you say "khaki and navy slacks", do you mean cotton chinos, wool dress slacks, or maybe something else? If you're talking chinos, I think chukkas are the better choice. If you're talking dressier slacks, I think longwings.

Agreed, very subjective. You're kind of comparing apples (big, clunky -- not in a bad way -- longwings) and oranges (smaller, more sleek -- when compared to Alden longwings -- chukkas).

My office is very casual (M-Th are chinos and sportshirts, Fridays are jeans and whatever) and I wear both longwings (brown pebblegrain -- RL McMurray) and chukkas (tan suede -- Alden).

If you haven't already, you might take a look at the Alden thread in the SW&D forum. Lots of great pics of chukkas and longwings in various levels of formality. Personally, I think the shell longwings are a bit dressy for chinos, but I suspect I'm in the minority with that opinion. I bought the RL McMurrays because I thought the pebblegrain and the rubber sole made them a bit more chino-friendly.

Also, one more thing to consider -- depending on how "slim" your pants are -- slim pants tend to make longwings look even bigger than they really are. Another likely minority opinion, but I think ultra-slim pants and clunkier shoes look a bit "off".

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

Your choice.