• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Jim or APC New standard?

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering which of these pairs of jeans would look better in the long run.. All the pictures of APCs that I'ved seen look like crap when worn after 3 or 4 months. Leading me to belive that they do not reatain their shape very well. I've tried on APC and I like the way the look, but I don't want them to bag and sag out. Do Slim Jims reatain there shape better than APCs? THanks.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody...
plain.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
Hey, I was wondering which of these pairs of jeans would look better in the long run.. All the pictures of APCs that I'ved seen look like crap when worn after 3 or 4 months. Leading me to belive that they do not reatain their shape very well. I've tried on APC and I like the way the look, but I don't want them to bag and sag out. Do Slim Jims reatain there shape better than APCs? THanks.

The short answer is no. Jeans that retain their shape after extended periods of wear are those with a very tight weave. Of all the jeans I've worn, 5EP are probably best for this. Even then, if the jeans are particularly tight, or tight at all, they are going to stretch out at stress areas (butt, knees, thighs) noticeably.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats what everyone says but they also say that it stretches more than most. Hmmm
confused.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BubblyMasquerade
Thats what everyone says but they also say that it stretches more than most. Hmmm
confused.gif

They are woven fairly tightly. I should correct myself. However, the yarn they use, as well as being very durable, is very stretchy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bungee Man
I say go with some Slim Jim dry Japans.

I don't have these jeans, but if the denim is anything like that used for the RRDS, they will stretch quite a bit as well.

If You want a low rise, slim, straightleg jean, why don't you try the John Bull SC007 or SC008 from www.blueingreensoho.com . The hemp content in the jeans may make them less stretchy. That is just speculation though.

Or, conversely, just wash the jeans regularly. They will get their shape back. There is no real reason to not wash jeans for 1,3, 6 months. And you'll get good fading, just not the super pronounced whiskers that seem to be trendy right now (Yes, it is a trend.)

thisisme

Reaction score
how much would you size down for slim jim drys ? 2 sizes? also, their not selvedge but ~how much will they stretch out??

Bungee Man

Reaction score
I would say size down one. Two might be too tight. It also depends on how you want to wear them. How do you want to wear them?

thisisme

Reaction score
like this:

slim, but not skinny/legging tight

i wondered if sizing down 2 was recommended because the selvedge versions of nudies are recommended to go down 2 sizes but these are dry, pardon my ignorance but are these like selvedge or washed or 1 washed?

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
They are woven fairly tightly. I should correct myself. However, the yarn they use, as well as being very durable, is very stretchy.

Is there something inherently different in the APC vs. RRDS denim that makes them fade differently? I've worn my APC NS for probably 4 months (off and on, over the period of a year+) and there is lots of distinct creasing, but really not that much fading (other than the back pocket). Whereas, in my RRDS that I've worn maybe 6 times, I am already starting to see some fading where my phone/keys are. Seems strange.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
Is there something inherently different in the APC vs. RRDS denim that makes them fade differently? I've worn my APC NS for probably 4 months (off and on, over the period of a year+) and there is lots of distinct creasing, but really not that much fading (other than the back pocket). Whereas, in my RRDS that I've worn maybe 6 times, I am already starting to see some fading where my phone/keys are. Seems strange.

I have noticed the same thing. I think that Nudie deliberately oversaturates the jeans with indigo and also probably blends the dyes so that they don't hold as well to the fabric on purpose, since Nudie's whole deal with the dry selvedge models is that they will get great "character". No other dry denim or one wash models from any other company that I own fades as quickly as do my Nudies.

Lysol

Reaction score
i think it's worth mentioning that any article of clothing, worn and washed as much as people wear and wash their dry denim is bound to lose its shape.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this makes me a heretic, but the whole shape/size guessing game has me sort of hesitant to start a new pair of dry jeans (I was really close to pulling the trigger on some stuff at big soho). As you all have said, over the long run both washed and dry jeans will change in shape, but I feel like you're always gambling in some sense with the latter.

We see the same posts about tons of different labels/cuts: do they shrink, do they stretch, how much, etc. etc. LA Guy's post re: yarn types made me think that it's totally a moving target anyway. This is kind of crazy, b/c aren't you dropping like $200+ on jeans that could look kind of wack on you after a few months/washes?

And then there's this wrench thrown into the equation, from History Preservation's Canes description: "due to the sometimes-erratic characteristics inherently associated with the raw, heavy cotton turned into denim produced on the old shuttle looms, waist measure can fluctuate by about 1" smaller than the label on the dungarees states". And don't even get me started on shrink-to-fit; I'm way too dumb to figure that out.
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads