• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim guy looking for tailored clothing

jslim

Reaction score
Hi, I am a student in the DFW area looking for reasonably priced slim fit apparel and suits. I am very much into the modern slim suit look found in GQ magazine. I've read posts on this site about Zara and Club Monaco (there is no H&M in Texas); and i plan on going to the Dallas galleria soon to check out those brands. Does anyone of any other places and can find anything or what I should be looking for at Zara and Club Monaco to look GQ. I'm looking to revamp my wardrobe for this school year. Im am about 6'2'' 140lbs and very rail thin skinny, lol.

oroy38

Reaction score
6'2" 140? You need to gain some weight. Even by the GQ slim standards, that's pretty much just skin and bones. Eat a few steaks.

With that said, start slow. Read around the forums a bit, and pick up a few classics. Don't be so worried about "slim fit." The whole "slim fit" thing will go out of style anyway. Yes, you are sickeningly slim, but focus on getting something that fits rather than what's "slim." At your height and weight, everything you buy is going to need to be tailored or else it'll look baggy on your wiry frame. Put on some weight before you start revamping your wardrobe. You'll find that things fit better when they have something to hang on to.

jslim

Reaction score
Duly noted. One time a went to look for a suit in the department store at the mall and the guy said I should eat a couple of boxes of pizza then come back, lol.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im also 6'2" and a bit less heavy then you and Ive had great luck with the aquascutum nick hart line. They fit really slim and are a very modern cut with a short length and very slim lapels.. It might have been wrongly tagged but I bought a sport cut in 38" from them and it fits really slim without any tailoring.

jslim

Reaction score
Well, I don't live in the northeast so I doubt ill have much luck with aquascutum; and I doubt I will be able to gain enough weight to not have to wear slim fit made stuff without looking like I just took a dive.

stylesmurf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslim
Well, I don't live in the northeast so I doubt ill have much luck with aquascutum; and I doubt I will be able to gain enough weight to not have to wear slim fit made stuff without looking like I just took a dive.

Some mall brands like BR have slim fit lines now, give them a try.

Twisty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
Don't be so worried about "slim fit." The whole "slim fit" thing will go out of style anyway.

Please explain? Slim fit, in my opinion will not go away.

Perhaps the "Slimane" look (more of a fashion trend than style) of Dior may lose steam, but 'slim' fitting clothing won't. Why would anybody want to go back to double-pleats and wide waists?

vezatron

Reaction score
I'm fairly slim and like ordering stuff from Thick as Thieves, Jantzen, and JPress (37R hooray). Saks has a very nice slim cut as well. For reference I literally can't go to Dillards and buy a dress shirt without it being puffy.

jslim

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think slim fit will go away either, I can't buy anything at Dillards either unless its a boys ralph lauren polo or a small slim fit calvin klein shirt. I don't really like buying online unless I try it on first, had bad luck shopping online.

vezatron

Reaction score
Well what worked for me was getting some measurements from a tailor and taking my own (making sure neither one us took any unspecificed allowances). Order a Jantzen, make corrections, get a well fitting shirt, and then order other stuff from there.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would some put on some weight first.

I think slim fit has been mis used in a lot ways. I personally like slim fit, but to me slim fit is only slim in the waist, I still want full chest and right shoulder, I want the waist suppression (shirt and suit jacket), but not an overall pencil look, I want the constrast, not just one single pole. Of course that might not be an option giving your height and weight. So all in all, gain weight first...

Seriously, 6"2' and 140, wow...

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Price range?
What exactly are you looking for?

jslim

Reaction score
Well I don't want to spent over $500 (I am still in college). I'm looking for something along the lines of a two-button suit with a streamlined look and flat-front, narrow-cut pants with a fitted shirt thats not puffy when tucked in.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslim
Well I don't want to spent over $500 (I am still in college). I'm looking for something along the lines of a two-button suit with a streamlined look and flat-front, narrow-cut pants with a fitted shirt thats not puffy when tucked in.

<standard SF reply>

Thick As Thieves

</standard SF reply>

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads