• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim-Fitting Tux Jacket: Advice Please!

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Hello--

While dutifully following the missus through the local mall today, a slim-fitting sequin blazer caught my eye at one of the upscale department stores. I tried it on half-seriously, but even my wife agreed that it looked surprisingly good. Half price to boot!

I'm 6' tall, 205 lbs, a 44" chest and broad shoulders. (I don't consider myself fat, but I could lose 8-10 lbs in a perfect world.) First I tried on an XL size in the aforementioned jacket: it looked great in the mirror, but when I folded my arms forward, I had a mild Incredible Hulk sensation. Next I reached for an XXL--and I should mention there is not even one XXL garment in my entire closet--but while the shoulders felt perfect with free unrestricted arm motion, it draped horribly across the stomach and looked too baggy.

Getting home, I checked out the item's specs online. What's odd is that my measurements (33 or 34" waist, 44" chest, 17" neck) put me right in between an L and an XL in this jacket, with the stated measurements for the XXL being intended for someone with a much bigger 41-43" waist and a 48-50" chest.

Is a slim-fitting sequin blazer simply supposed to fit snug across the shoulders, or is this particular cut just not for me?

Thanks in advance.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hard to say without seeing photos, but it sounds like the cut just isn't for you.

When in doubt, buy the garment and see if you can take it to a local alterations tailor. They should be able to tell you what can be done. Finding a good alterations tailor can be its own challenge, however. If you don't already have someone reliable, see which reputable high-end stores outsource their alterations work. It can help to get a referral.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Hi and thanks--

I did buy the XL online last night just before the 1/2-price sale ended, though if when it still seems tighter in the shoulders than I'd like while wearing a slim-fitting shirt underneath, I will exchange it for a larger size and take your advice.

It's just weird how all of my garments are either L or XL, and the manufacturer's size chart for this exact jacket shows that should be swimming in a 2XL. If I hadn't seen myself in the mirror with the excess fabric billowing in front, I would have bought the 2XL by virtue of the fit in the shoulders. I'm hoping that the flannel shirt I was wearing at the time accounts for the fact that the XL felt snug by comparison.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads