• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fitting slacks, do they even exist?

Andrew

Reaction score
I have been looking for some dress slacks that are flat fronted and slim fitting, but have had no luck. Right now the only slacks I can find/own are those that are pleated and kind of "one size fits all.. just get the bottom hemmed and you're good". They tend to be really baggy though, especially for me around the hips and just do not look flattering at all. All my jeans are slim cut, bootcut, but god help me if I can find some slacks with this same design. My in town options are quite limited.. nordstrom which doesn't seem to have any. I haven't looked at banana republic, but I could probably check it out. Those are my only 2 options really. The colors I'm looking for are just your basic black, charcoal, some browns maybe. Are there any recommendations for brands via online store/ebay I could try? Thanks for any suggestions.

- Andrew

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't looked at banana republic, but I could probably check it out.
Yep. They're basically the home of the slim-fitting flat-front trouser. http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse....ry=1018 See? With that in mind, eBay is also a good bet. I picked up a pair of NWT Ralph Lauren Purple Label flat-front wool trousers a while back for less than half the price of those BR trousers. I'm sure other posters will come up with other brand names, set up a few searches for those, in your size, and eBay will e-mail you every day that it finds something.

Alex_O

Reaction score
Land's end custom. Lot's of diffrent choices chinos/courdoray/wool. Speciffy thigh seat etc, when you reorder you can get even more specific fit plus return if you don't like. Land's end custom Great for control freaks and fairly cheap. I'd buy BR(insert American designer) if they only carried 28 waist the bastids.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd buy BR(insert American designer) if they only carried 28 waist the bastids.
They have a 29 waist for quite a few models - taking a 29 down to a 28 is pretty easy for a decent tailor... And J. Crew offer a lot in 28 or 29, too. I'm wearing my first-ever pair of cargo trousers right now, 28 waist, from J. Crew.

Alexis

Reaction score
criteria:

dress slacks
flat front
slim fitting

possibilities:

Prada
Incotex
Bernard Zins
Zanella
Theory

Phil

Reaction score
If you have access to Paul Smith you would certainly find slim fitting flat front pants. You better have toothpicks for legs though, otherwise they will look like spandex.

Alexis

Reaction score
From time to time I try on some Banana Republic stuff (only if its ~50% off).  Are their pants made for Eunichs by any chance?  Semi-serious question.
BR pants are made in India, and judging by South Indians' love of children, I doubt by eunichs.

Lomezz

Reaction score
Try Zegna "Z" - I think it is made to regular Zegna standards of VERY nice fabrics. They have a very slim, flat front cut that even I - with legs ruoghly the diameter of my arms - find snug.

petescolari

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as you 6' 1" and I wear 33 x 34 pants and hate pleated pants.

I have had good luck with Banana Republic before in terms of fit, especially with the Dawson fit. They usually have a good selection of brown dress pants as well.

RLPL generally is a more tailored fit and I recommend them as well. If you can't find anything in your price range with them, the regular line has/had some good pants in the 'Runway' line ( I own 2 pair).

Check out Hugo Boss too. Lots of flat fronts and always on ebay. My other go to brand for this staple.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd check out Borrelli and Barba slacks on the World's Finest EBay site (Ian Daniels). They're cut quite narrow.

petescolari

Reaction score
I'd check out Borrelli and Barba slacks on the World's Finest EBay site (Ian Daniels). They're cut quite narrow.

I think there was a thread about these Borrelli pants not too long ago as to how they taper quite narrow to the ankles. If you want a straighter leg, you might want to ask for measurements before you buy.

Brian SD

Reaction score
If a company makes a slim-fitting jacket, it's highly likely that they're going to make slim fitting pants as well, although there is obviously some variability. I think Paul Smith pants are nice and slim (as previously mentioned), and for a 28" waist, you should have no problems. 28" is insane man, *I feel* like a fat lazy slob now, and I'm used to being the skinniest mofo around.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
i like my trousers slim, tapered down to 7.5" at the bottom. Paul Smith is the most obvious place to go, along with other "mod" friendly designers like Ozwald Boateng. I have a pair of BR's "slim fit black trousers" and *personally* i wouldnt really call them that slim, albeit they arent as full legged as their normal trousers.

Ralph Lauren has some awesome vintage inspired wool/cashmere trousers (houndstooths, prince of wales check, etc) that are flat front and somewhat slim, but it requires a tailor to make them *just right*.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads