• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slim fitting, grey plaid pants

alexpham

Reaction score
I'm hoping to break my current denim addiction by getting a pair of grey wool pants. I was thinking of a nice charcoal glen plaid pair that would be preferrably flat-front and slim fitting. I am willing to pay designer prices for a pair that looks great and fits the bill because being young and impulsive, I pay no heed to real value.
devil.gif

Any recommendations? I've seen some good ones from Banana Republic and Marni but that was last year so I'm not sure if those styles are still around.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're genuinely happy to pay designer prices, I suggest you pay bespoke prices instead and get exactly the fit, style, fabric and cloth weight you want!
smile.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I picked up a pair of slim grey PoW plaid trousers from Zara last fall. Their stock is always changing so it's worth a look if you have one near you. Last I was there they had a great slim brown plaid trouser.

If you have a good Ralph Lauren shop, I've seen great PoW plaids, herringbones, dogtooth pattern trousers that run in the $500 range. Fit is relaxed but a good alteration tailor can easily slim the leg.

Once stores start stocking fall/winter items you're chances of finding them will be better than now, which is the dreaded in between season time when sales are great, but selection is poor.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
If you're genuinely happy to pay designer prices, I suggest you pay bespoke prices instead and get exactly the fit, style, fabric and cloth weight you want!
smile.gif

What he said. I just ordered my first pair of custom trousers from a local tailor who has the work done in Hong Kong -- he's actually more like a sales rep, although he still does tailoring work some times. I got a navy chashmere woool blend for about $160. Not a bad price for a staple trouser.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
What sort of fix and style pant did you get?

Slimmer, flat front, on-seam pockets. Pretty standard stuff, but because Navy is such a staple, always impossible to score on Ebay without a crazy bidding war.

The fabric was from Ferre and is a cashmere wool blend. The wool is in the barrio of 8 1/2 oz. or so, which is great for tropical climates.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexpham
being young and impulsive, I pay no heed to real value.
devil.gif

Interesting philosophy.

BDCook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I picked up a pair of slim grey PoW plaid trousers from Zara last fall. Their stock is always changing so it's worth a look if you have one near you. Last I was there they had a great slim brown plaid trouser.

If you have a good Ralph Lauren shop, I've seen great PoW plaids, herringbones, dogtooth pattern trousers that run in the $500 range. Fit is relaxed but a good alteration tailor can easily slim the leg.

Once stores start stocking fall/winter items you're chances of finding them will be better than now, which is the dreaded in between season time when sales are great, but selection is poor.

Saks had the herringbone and dogtooth on their second cut sale. IIRC the retail was about $350 per pair, and I paid around $160 per pair. This was the NYC store.

alexpham

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Interesting philosophy.

I was just joking about that.

Does anybody know a reputable tailor in the San Diego area? My closest experience to bespoke goodness so far has been getting some jeans hemmed at a dry cleaning place, so tell to you the truth, the whole deal seems kind of intimidating.
confused.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
then go to dior homme or kris van asche! and you get some nice 1's or like everyone has said you could take you favorite jeans with you to the taliors for 100% self designer pleassure!

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
smile.gif

I agree 100%. After bespoke everything else is second best. If you want the best then this is the only option. However, you must either have a good tailor who will give good advice as to what cut suits best or else you need to have strong personal preferences as to what you want. I mean pleats (single, double, forward, reverse), full cut vs slender cut, degree of taper, cuffed vs uncuffed, rise, suspender buttons or just belt loops.

That said a good pair of quality RTW trousers can fit acceptably well after proper tailoring. Bespoke makes more of a pronounced difference with jackets. Still, if you want the uncompromising best then the choice is easy.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Here you go.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=12425

I've used Felice Custom Tailors, on the recommendation of Full Canvas, for alterations and I'm very pleased. As he wrote, they are not cheap, but they do fine work. After I drop off my last 2 suits for alterations today, I'll be asking them to make a sportscoat.

Felice Custom Tailors
7853 Herschel Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858) 454-8205

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads