• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim-fitting cowboy/western shirts?

cgeezy

Reaction score
I'm having such a hard time finding some long sleeve cowboy/western vintage style shirts. Sometimes I can find them in local shops, but they're either huge and/or stupid patterns. Anyone know where I can find some good, size small shirts like these? Another problem is the fact that it's summer and shops around here don't stock these long sleeve shirts anymore.

So other than eBay, which really hasn't given me that many good results, is there anywhere online I can find these shirts?

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
I've actually found a lot of nice shirts on ebay. Try some different words like wrangler, plaid, western, Levi's, plaid etc and then go to Vintage.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The long-sleeve ones are definitely harder to find than short-sleeve. Either way, if you want slim you're definitely going to have to get them altered.

cgeezy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
The long-sleeve ones are definitely harder to find than short-sleeve. Either way, if you want slim you're definitely going to have to get them altered.

argh. I was afraid of that. I've realized that the long sleeves are much harder to find. I try ebay again, though, thanks.

gza

Reaction score
The problem with finding long-sleeved ones is that unless your arms are fairly short, a shirt with long-enough sleeves will fit blousy in the torso. With the short-sleeved versions, you can at least size down until you get a slimmer fit in the chest and waist. Furthermore, it seems that a lot of the standard brands for these (e.g. Wrangler and Levi's) cut their shirts short and boxy.

Designer/premium brand western shirts may fit slimmer, but the only ones you'll find with any regularity will probably be Diesel, whose shirts are unfortunately marred by prints far too often.

Of course, the ultimate solution would be a Jantzen western shirt. I asked Ricky to make one for me in my last order, but it's been almost 2 months with no response. Ah, it was fun while it lasted...

xcoldricex

Reaction score
doesn't EG do these shirts? a couple of japanese brands do these shirts pretty slim i think, nonnative being one of them.

cgeezy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gza
The problem with finding long-sleeved ones is that unless your arms are fairly short, a shirt with long-enough sleeves will fit blousy in the torso. With the short-sleeved versions, you can at least size down until you get a slimmer fit in the chest and waist. Furthermore, it seems that a lot of the standard brands for these (e.g. Wrangler and Levi's) cut their shirts short and boxy.

Designer/premium brand western shirts may fit slimmer, but the only ones you'll find with any regularity will probably be Diesel, whose shirts are unfortunately marred by prints far too often.

Of course, the ultimate solution would be a Jantzen western shirt. I asked Ricky to make one for me in my last order, but it's been almost 2 months with no response. Ah, it was fun while it lasted...

Yes, very good points. I can get one fitting good in the chest, but then bam, the arms and length are too short. I don't really like the look of short sleeves though, so I'm not interested in those. What are Jantzen, EG and Nonnative? Googling wasn't really helping... japanese brands, I take it?

Metal Circus

Reaction score
EG is Engineered Garments. I thought that a big part of their style was based on donations of American clothes to postwar Japan, and how the clothes didn't fit well, in the traditional sense? I don't think that EG is really about slim fit.

Jantzen is this forum's favorite discount MTM shirtmaker/mail-order crapshoot. There a million threads here about him.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Yea, EG stuff is very much workwear, and fits boxy and non-formfitting.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might try Wranger 47 by Built by Wendy (http://www.builtbywendy.com/onlinesh...ategory_id=285) for a decent take on the shirt which will fit, um, hipster, rather than Cowboy, sensibilities. Band of Outsiders also do a western style shirt, albeit for about $200.

drake

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and decided to have my tailor make me one. Maybe you should look into that.

BigSur

Reaction score
is there a specific search term when looking for chest pockets like this?

WE147_flat_main.jpg

gza

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigSur
is there a specific search term when looking for chest pockets like this?

Even if a specific name exists for those kind of pockets, I doubt most sellers are aware of it, so it won't be found in their listings (i.e. it won't be searchable).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads