Slim-fitting cowboy/western shirts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by cgeezy, May 20, 2006.

1. cgeezy

cgeezy Active Member

I'm having such a hard time finding some long sleeve cowboy/western vintage style shirts. Sometimes I can find them in local shops, but they're either huge and/or stupid patterns. Anyone know where I can find some good, size small shirts like these? Another problem is the fact that it's summer and shops around here don't stock these long sleeve shirts anymore.

So other than eBay, which really hasn't given me that many good results, is there anywhere online I can find these shirts?

2. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

I've actually found a lot of nice shirts on ebay. Try some different words like wrangler, plaid, western, Levi's, plaid etc and then go to Vintage.

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The long-sleeve ones are definitely harder to find than short-sleeve. Either way, if you want slim you're definitely going to have to get them altered.

4. cgeezy

cgeezy Active Member

The long-sleeve ones are definitely harder to find than short-sleeve. Either way, if you want slim you're definitely going to have to get them altered.

argh. I was afraid of that. I've realized that the long sleeves are much harder to find. I try ebay again, though, thanks.

5. gza

gza Senior member

The problem with finding long-sleeved ones is that unless your arms are fairly short, a shirt with long-enough sleeves will fit blousy in the torso. With the short-sleeved versions, you can at least size down until you get a slimmer fit in the chest and waist. Furthermore, it seems that a lot of the standard brands for these (e.g. Wrangler and Levi's) cut their shirts short and boxy.

Designer/premium brand western shirts may fit slimmer, but the only ones you'll find with any regularity will probably be Diesel, whose shirts are unfortunately marred by prints far too often.

Of course, the ultimate solution would be a Jantzen western shirt. I asked Ricky to make one for me in my last order, but it's been almost 2 months with no response. Ah, it was fun while it lasted...

6. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

doesn't EG do these shirts? a couple of japanese brands do these shirts pretty slim i think, nonnative being one of them.

7. cgeezy

cgeezy Active Member

The problem with finding long-sleeved ones is that unless your arms are fairly short, a shirt with long-enough sleeves will fit blousy in the torso. With the short-sleeved versions, you can at least size down until you get a slimmer fit in the chest and waist. Furthermore, it seems that a lot of the standard brands for these (e.g. Wrangler and Levi's) cut their shirts short and boxy.

Designer/premium brand western shirts may fit slimmer, but the only ones you'll find with any regularity will probably be Diesel, whose shirts are unfortunately marred by prints far too often.

Of course, the ultimate solution would be a Jantzen western shirt. I asked Ricky to make one for me in my last order, but it's been almost 2 months with no response. Ah, it was fun while it lasted...

Yes, very good points. I can get one fitting good in the chest, but then bam, the arms and length are too short. I don't really like the look of short sleeves though, so I'm not interested in those. What are Jantzen, EG and Nonnative? Googling wasn't really helping... japanese brands, I take it?

8. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

EG is Engineered Garments. I thought that a big part of their style was based on donations of American clothes to postwar Japan, and how the clothes didn't fit well, in the traditional sense? I don't think that EG is really about slim fit.

Jantzen is this forum's favorite discount MTM shirtmaker/mail-order crapshoot. There a million threads here about him.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Yea, EG stuff is very much workwear, and fits boxy and non-formfitting.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You might try Wranger 47 by Built by Wendy (http://www.builtbywendy.com/onlinesh...ategory_id=285) for a decent take on the shirt which will fit, um, hipster, rather than Cowboy, sensibilities. Band of Outsiders also do a western style shirt, albeit for about $200.

11. drake

drake Senior member

I had a similar problem and decided to have my tailor make me one. Maybe you should look into that.

12. BigSur

BigSur Senior member

is there a specific search term when looking for chest pockets like this?

[​IMG]

13. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

nonnative is a japanese label, yes. nice stuff i might add, but on the higher end of the price range. http://www.nonnative.com/

14. gza

gza Senior member

Even if a specific name exists for those kind of pockets, I doubt most sellers are aware of it, so it won't be found in their listings (i.e. it won't be searchable).

15. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

[​IMG]

Similar pockets are called Quarter Horse pockets (by Rockmount, anyway):

[​IMG]
    http://www.rockmount.com/shirts/solids.asp