• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fitting chinos / pants

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the skinny cords too in tan and also had to size up. Will probably go back for the grey, black and brown.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by woodywoodson
I just got some Uniqlo cords when I was in London -- I like them quite a bit. But I am wearing a size larger than I normally get (non-Uniqlo) jeans in, since I didn't particularly like the cords to hug my legs.

Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
I got the skinny cords too in tan and also had to size up. Will probably go back for the grey, black and brown.

Hmm, sounds good so far and sounds like I would size up for the same reasons. Scrap jean size comparisons as they are more all over the place, did you guys size up from typical dress pant/chino/trouser size? What sizes are you guys if you don't mind, wondering if you're similar to mine. I'm typically a 30 waist in pants.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear a 31 in their T-000's, but had to get 32. The 31's legs were strangling me, not flattering at all. First time I ever had to size UP, lol.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Better pics of the blue 511 trousers, it is 30x30 and although a bit loose in the waist, I love the fact that I do not have to get it hemmed.
101409.jpg

Julian84

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mexicorn
I know express is usually frowned upon here, but given previous recommendations about their "producer" pants, I decided to check them out.

I actually found this interesting cut called the "photographer" pant.
http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...latedItem=true
pguide_forhim_photographer.jpg

It's a jean cut, and has a bit of a sheen to it, but are definitely the best fitting pants I've had on. They fit very much like a Levi's 514 up top, but have a bit more taper. I usually wear 31's in Levi's, but had to get a 30 in these since they seem to be super vanity sized (my true waist is around 33"). They go for about $60, but I got them for $45 on sale which I'm sure is common for a store like this.

Just a heads up for people ordering these but they definitely weren't vanity sized in my case. I bought them true to waist and I couldn't get my legs all the way into them. The quality seems to be quite good for the price and the fabric seems very soft/comfortable.

line.theory

Reaction score
This is a long-shot, but does anyone know if/how I can get the 511 trousers (in khaki, navy, gray cord, whatever) in/shipped to Australia? I've tried everywhere online that I can, and they all seem to have some sort of embargo about shipping internationally.

As much as the quality isn't that great, the fit is spot on for me.

Also, hi everyone!

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but Brooks Brothers Milano fit is very slim, slightly tapered, and comes in chinos/cords/twill.

I have maybe 8-9 pairs and it goes great with pretty much everything.

P.S. Express = ******* horrible **** stuff.

Mexicorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Julian84
(Regarding Express Photographer pant) Just a heads up for people ordering these but they definitely weren't vanity sized in my case. I bought them true to waist and I couldn't get my legs all the way into them. The quality seems to be quite good for the price and the fabric seems very soft/comfortable.
It seems the sizes may have a large margin of error then, since 514's in 31 are pretty tight on me and I can barely fit my legs into size 31 511's, yet size 30 in the photographer pant fit me spot on. Regarding people's opinions of them, I know they have a bad rap around here, but I haven't seen any build quality issues on my pair (granted, I've only worn them once so far).

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^you don't notice that the fabric is crap when you touch it?

Mexicorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
^you don't notice that the fabric is crap when you touch it?

As I said originally, it has as bit of a "sheen" to it, but beyond that it doesn't feel like "crap" as you put it. Of course, I've never paid more than $45 for pants before, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing? Anyway, I enjoy mine enough to recommend them. YMMV.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously, every time I hear Express, I want to throw up.

Julian84

Reaction score
You may want to stop taking clothing so seriously then. Good grief.

dragonxking

Reaction score
Here are a couple fit pics. I'm about 5'8" 157 lbs, size 29 waist, I think. J Crew Urban Slim Chino in a size 31 x 30 (2 sizes too big, so theres a good amount of room in the thigh and seat area, but the leg is pretty slim):
H&M Cords in a size 30 (though technically a size too big, they fit pretty snug around the waist, with a slim straight fit. best of all, they only cost $20):
x6d0yh.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads