• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit vs normal fit shirts

strictly-4-my-pimps

Reaction score
So I was wondering what people prefer in their shirts, Slim fit or Normal? What looks better? What feels better? What do others think? This will be for both the business and casual environment.

rollafan

Reaction score
I only have "slim-fit" dress shirts. That is because I'm a "slim" guy haha. It's kinda funny because I have never tried the "normal" fit dress shirts yet
crackup[1].gif
. That's because every time I go to stores to buy shirts, the store associates just direct me to area where they have slim fit shirts.

WoodyTaillour

Reaction score
Definitely "Slim-Fit" because a normal cut feels baggy and boxy. In a business and casual environment, looking sharply dressed helps for plenty of reasons. Having a shirt that fits closely to one's body is of prime importance too.

Now, there could be variance between "Normal" and "Slim-Fit", but I do suppose different brands have their own definition and cut. Without going to the tailor, or down the MTM route, a "Slim-Fit" shirt is a safer choice when it comes to acquiring a better tailored-fit, but to be confused with "Tailored-Fit".

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Relaxed fit all the way. :slayer:

Last edited:

chet31

Reaction score
Go to a store that has both slim and classic fits of the same brand, try both on, see what you like better.

aizan

Reaction score
skinny people look better in full cuts, imo. i only wear slim-fit for casual wear, but not if i can avoid it.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim fit shirts generally have higher arm holes which gives you a greater range of motion without disturbing the fit of the shirt. This means you don't have to make repeated runs to the men's room to tuck in the acres of shirt tail that are pulled from the waistband whenever you raise your arms as you do when you wear a full cut shirt.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still a little stocky, yet slim fit shirts will usually fit better than regular cut. Regular cut is just WAY too baggy...
Even on very skinny people, a slim fit will look better as it will still be a little baggy without going overboard.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
regular cut is for huge folks
slim fit is for normally built folks
ultra/extra slim/tailored fit shirts are for thin guys.

Fashables

Reaction score
There's no right or wrong answer here.

If you are a bigger guy, slim fit isn't going to work.

I wear slim fit in most styles because they provide a more fitted look. Take the Brooks Brothers dress shirt for example. If I wore a regular it would look bulky and like I've got extreme love handles after tucking in the excess fabric - not cool. But, when I put on a slim fit Brooks Brothers shirt, it's more fitted and complimentary to my body style.

So again, there's no right or wrong answer here. If you want the fitted look start with slim fit. If you put it on and feel like you're about to do a Hulk Hogan shirt rip... regular fit is for you.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There's no right or wrong answer here.

If you are a bigger guy, slim fit isn't going to work.

I wear slim fit in most styles because they provide a more fitted look. Take the Brooks Brothers dress shirt for example. If I wore a regular it would look bulky and like I've got extreme love handles after tucking in the excess fabric - not cool. But, when I put on a slim fit Brooks Brothers shirt, it's more fitted and complimentary to my body style.

So again, there's no right or wrong answer here. If you want the fitted look start with slim fit. If you put it on and feel like you're about to do a Hulk Hogan shirt rip... regular fit is for you.

LOL. Brooks Brothers regular fit shirts could double as sails for the America's cup.

Again, for most brands, regular fit is for huge dudes, slim is for average dudes, and tailored/extra slim is for slim guys.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Regular fit makes me look like a slouch, even BB's slim-fit looks terrible on me. I wear BB's extra-slim or bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads