1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Slim fit tuxedo -- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheDroog, Aug 28, 2008.

1. kaeris

kaeris New Member

Hi Droog,

In one of your previous posts, you mentioned that you tried on a Paul Smith tux and liked the slim fit. May I ask where you tried it on?

I happen to wear the same size as you and would like to check it out as I'm in the market for a nice, slim fit tux. When I was in Neiman Marcus last, I saw that they carried a Paul Smith peak lapel/one button tux on their inventory sheet for $1295 (although not in stock at the store at the time). Perhaps this is the same one?

Thanks,
    K

2. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

RLBL now has a very nice peak lapel single button tux. I just tried it on today. Satin, and not grosgrain trim though, and pricey. I think the MSRP was $2100.

3. instep

instep Senior member

Well, I'm not an expert either, but I'm quite sure you're absolutely wrong. Peak lapels or shawl collar are the only two choices you have when it comes to dinner jacket lapel style, and I think that a peak lapel with a slim cut looks great.
    Actually, you're absolutely wrong. Funny how these things work, huh? [​IMG] Most people who advocate peak or shawl lapels point to 'tradition' as the primary reason for the 'correctness' of these lapel choices for DJs. The truth is, notch-lapel DJs have been around for a long time - there are illustrations and tailoring manuals with images of them from around the turn of last century. At the end of the day, it's all about the prevailing idiosyncrasies, the 'authorities' who utter them, and the sheeple who follow. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Infrasonic

Infrasonic Senior member

^^ + lots... I'm just re-reading James Lincoln Colliers- The making of Jazz.

Most of the photos of black tie attired bands from the turn of the last century onwards are notch lapel. The myth and the reality don't always match...[​IMG]

Go with what you think looks best, rather than some pseudo- hierarchical bullshit/dogma/ideology/groupthink.[​IMG]

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I would think it worth trying Paul Stuart on before buying any of the others, me i'd buy Polo, but it fits me very well.

BB isnt too far off if just having the waist taken in is all there is too it.

6. visionology

visionology Senior member

I purchased a RLBL tux for a wedding that just passed recently and I did receive a number of compliments on it and from a respected tailor in W Hartford she said it was one of the nicest tux she's seen and the fabric was great.

It's slimmer than your average tux although I had it slimmed a bit more by the tailor in the sides because I had to go up a size due to my shoulders and chest. If you can live with the notch lapels then it's a winner.

Most of the people at this wedding, which had a very wealthy guest list, were dressed pretty poorly IMO. I saw some strange colored vests, awful fitting tux, cheap rubber soled shoes, and a guy even showed up to the black tie event with a bright blue shirt and colored tie w/ no jacket...

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I purchased a RLBL tux for a wedding that just passed recently and I did receive a number of compliments on it and from a respected tailor in W Hartford she said it was one of the nicest tux she's seen and the fabric was great.

It's slimmer than your average tux although I had it slimmed a bit more by the tailor in the sides because I had to go up a size due to my shoulders and chest. If you can live with the notch lapels then it's a winner.

Most of the people at this wedding, which had a very wealthy guest list, were dressed pretty poorly IMO. I saw some strange colored vests, awful fitting tux, cheap rubber soled shoes, and a guy even showed up to the black tie event with a bright blue shirt and colored tie w/ no jacket...

Thats pretty surprising for CT, though maybe Lilly Politzer doesn't make a tux, leaving the CTer's stranded.

8. nigel12

nigel12 New Member

I just started looking for slim-fitting tuxedos in NYC. Paul Stuart's Phineas Cole now has a midnight blue available for $1884.

I also visited Rothmans, Bergdorf, Saks, Zegna, and Paul Smith so far as well. Rothman's offers mostly notch lapel, 2 button, relatively boxy cuts. I'm looking for peak, one-button so I don't look like I'm wearing a suit. Bergdorf had Tom Ford which I tried just because it was there - amazing but out of my price range.

Paul Smith has three distinctive styles (velvet trimming, deep navy blue, etc., from $1770 up to $2500.

Although fit is my primary concern, a few details that set you apart from five other guys wearing tuxedos would be nice. I didn't see much of that beyond the labels I called out above.

Also, got a pair of Gucci patent leather shoes for just under $200 at DSW. Came across them by accident.

Interested if anyone purchased a slim fit MTM/independent tailor tuxedo from sources such as Mr. Ned, Sanford Bryant, Steven Aver, etc. I've read through all the forum postings on this, but most aren't really that definitive. Any positive recommendations or warnings?

9. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

I've tried on several tuxedos during the last couple of weeks. Aside from the RLBL peak lapel, flat front, which is my favorite, there is a RL blue label that is near identical in styling, with lower quality fabrics (but still very nice) but also what I would consider a slimmer fit. It was less than half the cost of the RLBL, and were this tux not for my wedding, I probably would have gotten the blue label. One major difference between these two tuedos, aside from the fabric quality, is that the RLBL comes with regular horn buttons dyed black, whereas the blue label comes with satin covered buttons. Oh, also the blue label uses grosgrain if I remember correctly.

I found the BB tuxedos to be nice too, particularly the golden fleece, one button, peak lapel. Very nicely made, and I think roughly the same price as the RLBL. The fit was not as slim fitting however. Nor was the 1818 I tried on. HOpe this helps.

10. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

hello,

not sure if its good practice to revise an old thread, but thought its better than reposing a new thread.

anyways, do people have any tips for slim fit (basically dont want it to fit baggy as i'm around 5'7 145ish pounds)..

some great research in beginning of post, but how about in 2010? i'm in the market for a tux

costume national?
    dior homme?
    lanvin?
    RLBL mentioned above

11. GBR

GBR Senior member

MTM at that price would be your best bet you can then specify what you want.

12. hommedumonde

hommedumonde Active Member

J. Crew Ludlow Tuxedo.

Go try it.

13. lovelux2010

j. crew not an option as i'm in london..

anyone know about dior homme classic tux? canali? erm zegna? as the thread suggests i'm after a slim fit classic tux..

M2M..sure, but from where?

14. lovelux2010

just a bit of info for the forum..

i'm 5'7 about 140 pounds..
    DIOR homme: lovely lovely suit, love the simplicity of their classic tux but - 48 too tight but nice on shoulders; 50 too big on shoulders but better throughout - in short did'nt fit
    Lanvin: seemed to fit quite boxy, suppose this is the lanvin silouette..didnt love it
    Canali: did not have my sizse, but looked quite classic

anyways..i'm still on the hunt for a tux that is'nt huge on me (short fitting) and i'm more towards slim that otherwise..

any suggestions greatly appreciated

15. rfc84

rfc84 Member

I'm a thinner guy in need a of a tux for an event in early December. Any thoughts on this one? http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx-xx-xx.index I'm perfectly fine with notch lapel and 2 buttons. My max budget is probably about 500 including the accessories and tailoring so I am a bit limited in choices. A slim fit is important for me since I am skinny and more classic cuts leave me drowning in fabric

16. Captain Winky

Captain Winky Senior member

I'm a thinner guy in need a of a tux for an event in early December. Any thoughts on this one? http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx-xx-xx.index

I'm perfectly fine with notch lapel and 2 buttons.

My max budget is probably about 500 including the accessories and tailoring so I am a bit limited in choices. A slim fit is important for me since I am skinny and more classic cuts leave me drowning in fabric

I wouldn't count on that one bein as slim as you think, just because of the name. If you want to order from online, I'd go with this perhaps:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx.esn_results

It retails for $800, but you can always find deals from places like Macy's that should bring it down at least a couple hundred (see if you can find a working coupon and open a credit card with them). You can always size down one and then do about $50 worth of tailoring to get it just right.

17. rfc84

rfc84 Member

that one is probably a a bit over my budget, even with a sale since I'd still need tailoring and accessories.

18. Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn Well-Known Member

I also like to wear slim fit style tuxedo but i am not a big fan of peak lapel, notch lapel is not traditional and it only looks good in a suit. Whereas the shawl lapel tuxedo is the option in my opinion to go with

19. comrade

comrade Senior member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015