• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Trouser Question

turnbull12

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some reasonably well made, but inexpensive slim fit dress\\casual trousers that I might snatch up on ebay\\STP. I'm looking for something a bit tapered in the leg. I have a pair of polo slim fit cords and their fit is just right for me, but my size never seems to go on sale. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Define "inexpensive"? The forum consensus, as you'll see in the archives, is that no slim trousers under $100 on-sale are worth wearing. As you'll also see in the archives, even those have no consistent supply.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Define "inexpensive"? The forum consensus, as you'll see in the archives, is that no slim trousers under $100 on-sale are worth wearing. As you'll also see in the archives, even those have no consistent supply.
musicboohoo[1].gif

not necessarily true. i have purchased the following pants, all under $100 in the past two months, all have a leg opening of 7.5" - 8.0".

- zara
- paul smith
- prada
- mabitex
- rlpl
- john varvatos
- hugo boss (the forum eats this label alive, but honestly, they're super slim and often found on ebay for $30 NWT and the construction is well above a banana republic or j. crew quality at that price point.)

with the exception of zara, all of these retail well above $100 but between ebay and the b&s forum, the most i paid for these was $75 and that was for the prada pants. all NWT. just look around.

csgrad

Reaction score
J. Lindberg makes really nicely cut trousers. They start at 225, so I'm gona guess 100 on sale shouldn't be to hard to find. For trousers, I find cut the most important, quality I think is secondary to a good cut.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lysol
- hugo boss (the forum eats this label alive, but honestly, they're super slim and often found on ebay for $30 NWT and the construction is well above a banana republic or j. crew quality at that price point.)

+1 on this, actually.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If the top fits right, altering the legs of pants to be slimmer is very simple. I don't know how much it should cost, but I'd guess maybe $25-30 including the hems (which will need to be done at the same time) and then they fit exactly as you want.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
If the top fits right, altering the legs of pants to be slimmer is very simple. I don't know how much it should cost, but I'd guess maybe $25-30 including the hems (which will need to be done at the same time) and then they fit exactly as you want.

Do you find that the result is usually pretty good with this? Does it depend on the weight of the fabric at all?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Do you find that the result is usually pretty good with this? Does it depend on the weight of the fabric at all?
I've done it myself to a few pairs of pants (varying weights) now and it's always turned out well, again assuming that the rise is not an issue.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots

i'm kinda obsessive compulsive and have all my pants altered to a 7.5"-8" opening and we're talking a good amount of thrifted / vintage stuff and they look perfek.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads