• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim-Fit Sweaters

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am a pretty skinny guy (5'11'' 155) and am looking for slim-fit sweaters. I am not looking for amazing quality or the best cashemere, just something decent. I am perfectly content with Banana Republic-type fabrics - but the problem with BR is that the smalls fit well but the sleeves are a tad short and the mediums are too baggy.

Are there any reasonably priced brands that make slim fit sweaters with normal length sleeves? I am not looking to spend a fortune here, even though I would bet the house that the nice European designers have great fit. Any tips are welcome.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I am a pretty skinny guy (5'11'' 155) and am looking for slim-fit sweaters. I am not looking for amazing quality or the best cashemere, just something decent. I am perfectly content with Banana Republic-type fabrics - but the problem with BR is that the smalls fit well but the sleeves are a tad short and the mediums are too baggy.

Are there any reasonably priced brands that make slim fit sweaters with normal length sleeves? I am not looking to spend a fortune here, even though I would bet the house that the nice European designers have great fit. Any tips are welcome.

Target's Merona, assuming you can still find any that are in clearance...

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also the European chains like Zara and H&M.

Actually, have a look among the more fashion-forward European brands in general.

vanity

Reaction score
I bought a nice one at Express discounted to $20. It's one of my favorite sweaters which is odd, considering how much I loathe that store.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've also found that it's possible to stretch sweater sleeves a good 2" or so pretty easily. I did it to a cashmere turtleneck the other day. Just steam the sleeve on both sides with an iron until it is very .. steamy, then press down at the shoulder seam and pull the cuff out a few inches and allow it to dry/cool like that. It took about 5 minutes on that one and it hasn't gone back to being too short.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic is made quite poorly, their zippers suck, their materials are horrid.

I'd go to Yoox.com:
1. Zazone: spend a little extra, great materials and slim fit
2. Smedley on Ebay. Not much more than BR full retail, slim fit, above average material, great colors and great price.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
I bought a nice one at Express discounted to $20. It's one of my favorite sweaters which is odd, considering how much I loathe that store.

I've found similar success there as well during their sales. But I do question...if you loathe it so much, why, pray tell, were you even in there?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Target's Merona, assuming you can still find any that are in clearance...

+1, wearing one today actually, it is in the waywt thread. Surprised that a medium actually fits like a medium. Penguin has a pretty good fit too. BR stuff doesn't really fit me all that well. A medium is too baggy and a small is often too short in the torso and sleeves. I have a zegna sweater I found at nordy rack that fits quite nice, though I think I prefer the Merona one, believe it or not.

I'm 6'0", 165lbs.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
+1, wearing one today actually, it is in the waywt thread. Surprised that a medium actually fits like a medium. Penguin has a pretty good fit too. BR stuff doesn't really fit me all that well. A medium is too baggy and a small is often too short in the torso and sleeves. I have a zegna sweater I found at nordy rack that fits quite nice, though I think I prefer the Merona one, believe it or not. I'm 6'0", 165lbs.
Yeah the Zegna sweaters I have fit nicely with a shirt underneath, but worn alone are a tad too baggy. But they are nice overall. My issue with Zara sweaters is the material which feels like ****. To be honest I have only one from there, so maybe their other sweaters are nice. I should check out Express. My issue with buying stuff somewhere like Yoox is that I do not know the fit and am worried about it not being just right. I know they have free returns but that is too much hassle for a simple sweater imo. Thanks for the tip though. The Target merona sounds like a winner, but I haven't seen any in Manhattan.

riotshield

Reaction score
I bought merino wool sweaters from BR, J.Crew and Urban Outfitters this season, all on sale for $30. Ended up returning the BR because it was too baggy, but the J.Crew and UO ones fit well.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
I just got a Mountain Equipment Co-Op Merino sweater that fits very nicely.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smedley are slim.
Charvet sweaters are really slim, at least the ones I bought from the paris shop (I had to take a 38 instead of 36).
As J noted, cashmere will stretch, merino woll not so much.

!luc

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, the typical mall chain sweaters do not fit (BR, Express, J Crew, Club Monaco, etc). Mediums are too baggy and smalls are too short. The one I have had success with is Barney's Co-op brand wool v-neck sweaters which are on sale right now.

vanity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrchapel
I've found similar success there as well during their sales. But I do question...if you loathe it so much, why, pray tell, were you even in there?

The Girlfriend likes to go in there to look for tops and dress pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads