• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit sweater?

metkirk

Reaction score
Well I was throwing stuff out of my wardrobe today and realized I didn't have any sweaters that remotely fit me. I'm looking for some really close fit sweaters, preferably wool or cashmere if not too expensive, otherwise cotton is fine. Online shops would be great since I live in a hick town and don't have a car. Thanks guys
smile.gif

apocalypse later

Reaction score
You're best off going to an H&M and sizing down on a sweater. I normally wear a Medium in H&M t-shirts, and a Small fits me perfectly. They're cheap and they'll hold up for a season.

Otherwise you could check out Theory online. They make slim-fitting sweaters, but just make sure you're not paying retail for it.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
h&m is inaccessible from a hicktown, atleast from my hicktown of 600,000 people.

slim is a relatively broad term, but i'd think if you have a mall remotely close you'd be able to find some slim basic sweaters at most any department store.

robbie

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
h&m is inaccessible from a hicktown, atleast from my hicktown of 600,000 people.

slim is a relatively broad term, but i'd think if you have a mall remotely close you'd be able to find some slim basic sweaters at most any department store.

robbie

If you can't get to an H&M, there are plenty of people willing to be a proxy for a small fee. Almost ALL H&Ms have a vast array of Crew and V-Neck sweaters, from all colors of gray, black, blue, etc.

Otheriwse, Gap has relatively good fitting sweaters if you size down as well. Just try not to pay full price.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J. Crew sweaters sized down one will work very well. Since I like wearing a sweater instead of a shirt under a blazer when it's cooler out, I've gone through the same issue of looking for the perfect fitted sweater. These are some of the best I've found, and they're only like $60.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie

robbie

I live in a hicktown of 600,000 too...

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree on the sizing down to a smaller size as you won't be washing it in all likelihood.

itskub

Reaction score
i hate theory's sweaters (and their shirts and blazers). theyre too thin, fit like crap, and way over priced.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Nothing worse than a cheap knit.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
i hate theory's sweaters (and their shirts and blazers). theyre too thin, fit like crap, and way over priced.

Disagree with everything but the blazers. They're one of the only casual blazers I can buy OTR and not have to alter at all. Yea, they're overpriced at retail, but I live near a couple Theory outlets and always see their stuff on sale at Barney's and Bloomingdales. It's pretty much the only blazer I'd order online without seeing.

As far as the pants that go with the blazers and are sold as suit separates, I've never seen a worse fit, so you're dead on with some of their stuff.

braidkid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'll second jcrew sweaters. they are relatively slim and better yet, their v-necks are actually v-necks this season instead of a crew neck in a v shape.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try BR as well - their sizes are snug anyway.

itskub

Reaction score
DGP: i tried on the "kramer"'s, which had a great, thin fit through the thighs, seat, crotch. i dont know about the rest of their pants' fits so maybe youre right.
the sweaters and button-ups by theory are definately for the shorter,average-weight body type.

WayneGibbous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
J. Crew sweaters sized down one will work very well. Since I like wearing a sweater instead of a shirt under a blazer when it's cooler out, I've gone through the same issue of looking for the perfect fitted sweater. These are some of the best I've found, and they're only like $60.

J. Crew cashmere v-neck in gray heather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads