• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit sweater - merino wool

gadorg

Reaction score
I searched the forum for any recent (ie, last 3-6 months) threads on this topic, but didn't find anything:

Can anyone recommend a slim fit, v-neck sweater in merino wool? I've looked at offerings from JCrew and Ralph Lauren in the $60-100 range, and there are some possibilities there, but wanted to see if anyone else could make a suggestion. I'm looking for something that I can layer over a long sleeve dress shirt on the cooler fall days.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We actually just posted a buyer's guide on Monday. Personally, I usually go for Banana Republic when they go on sale.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Banana Republic is hands down the worst place to buy merino wool sweaters. The sweater loses its shape before three month's time, and ends up saggy and shapeless. Don't bother, even when it's on sale. The money you put towards a BR sweater can be put towards much better buys. You can get John Smedley sweaters for around $75-100. A notch down is J Crew, but the quality is less nice, though still much, much better than BR. J Crew sweaters are around $70-50, and even lower when you catch them on sale. I've also heard one or two good things about Lands End Canvas, but have never tried them myself. Those are around $35-50 (more often than not, $35 since they're always on sale).

I'm still looking for better deals out there myself, but I can tell you as someone who has owned a handful of BR sweaters - they're probably the worst thing you can buy (and that goes for all BR stuff).

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can wipe off the spittle that you sprayed everywhere, buddy. Maybe take a valium. Jesus.

foggy

Reaction score
John Smedley on ebay would be my recommendation.

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Hate to reccommend them, but...

I actually bought a navy V-neck from Express (don't kill me, SF) and it is quite nice... Merino wool, very soft, warm, and durable.

70 bucks.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried on the Express ones, and my issue wasn't the quality, but the fit. They were a lot baggier on me than others I've tried.

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Really? How tall are you?

rwbenjey

Reaction score
I looked at BR and Express as well. The BR sweaters looked too short and the armholes were way too big on the ones from Express (which was a bit strange). You could give J. Crew a shot, though they only have cotton/cashmere and cashmere I believe (they fit pretty well).

kylelovesyou

Reaction score
I've got a couple of merino sweaters from H&M that are both very slim and have been worn regularly for years and have not shown any real damage or wear.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rwbenjey
I looked at BR and Express as well. The BR sweaters looked too short and the armholes were way too big on the ones from Express (which was a bit strange). You could give J. Crew a shot, though they only have cotton/cashmere and cashmere I believe (they fit pretty well).

They have merino too and they are usually pretty good. I have a few from the factory and the normal store and they hold up fine and fit well, pretty true to size.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
John Smedley? Fred Perry will be a little over your budget and Ben Sherman is using too many horrid wool-polly blends. Oh, how about Merc or Baracuta sales?

aphextwin07

Reaction score
i wore two jcrew merino v necks last fall/winter that held up very well through the season. they still look brand new today. i did comparison shopping for similar items at BR and found that the cut was much looser and the quality visibly inferior.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics