• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Slim fit" suits for bodybuilders?

JimPhreak

Reaction score
Before you go saying that you're not going to find an OTR suit for a bodybuilder that fits, let me be clear that I'm a natural bodybuilder. I'm 6'0 185lbs with broad/wide shoulders. Before I go about spending $700+ to get a suit custom fitted I'd like to shop around a bit and see if I can find anything OTR that fits decently. I don't wear suits to work and just need one for a wedding and to have available for future engagements. So it won't be worn often at all therefore I'm not looking to spend a ton. I'm looking for something that fits nicely as I like clothes that hug my body. I hate the baggy/loose look.

Are there any specific brands that are known to fit a more athletic build?

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YOU need to do the home work and visit the bricks and mortar shops - what you actually look like cannot be determined from these words.

akoustas

Reaction score
@JimPhreak

Being of a similar build (I do Muay Thai regularly) I'd recommend staying away from stictly "slim fit" suits. You'll find you'll get squeezed in like a tube of cookie dough and despite what the associate may tell you, it is not a "trendy" or a good look.

I'm not going to lie, I've tried and the best success I've head has been with Made-to-Measure suits (and later Bespoke) as it's the only way they'll truely be able to contour a V-shape properly (most suits can be taken in but will hang a bit on the sides as they're meant for rounder folks). Check and see if there are any good options in your area, most actually end up being about the same price as a designer brand (Boss, Z Zegna) and are of much much higher quality in most cases. There are also any number of online retailers who can do this for you, Kent Wang is highly regarded in these parts but I haven't tried him personally.

For off the rack, the best experience I've had (for the price) has been Suit Supply. Check out the website and see what's there, it is a much better value proposition than most of the things you'll find at a department store (including Boss and Z Zegna). For a more conservative approach Brooks brothers has some more tapered collections now, but you'll probably find their shirts a bit bagg. If you live in a big city you can often find designer brands at a steep discount at some department stores (should be something going on about now actually). If you find a Z Zegna for under $600 it's not a bad deal, and while the brand isn't too popular around here, it's a brand that would probably fit you well (I have one piece and it fits nicely and has lasted me quite some time).

Just remember the most important thing is the fit. A $200 Zara suit that fits well is worth more to you than a $2000 suit that fits poorly.

Last edited:

JimPhreak

Reaction score
@JimPhreak

Being of a similar build (I do Muay Thai regularly) I'd recommend staying away from stictly "slim fit" suits. You'll find you'll get squeezed in like a tube of cookie dough and despite what the associate may tell you, it is not a "trendy" or a good look.

I'm not going to lie, I've tried and the best success I've head has been with Made-to-Measure suits (and later Bespoke) as it's the only way they'll truely be able to contour a V-shape properly (most suits can be taken in but will hang a bit on the sides as they're meant for rounder folks). Check and see if there are any good options in your area, most actually end up being about the same price as a designer brand (Boss, Z Zegna) and are of much much higher quality in most cases. There are also any number of online retailers who can do this for you, Kent Wang is highly regarded in these parts but I haven't tried him personally.

For off the rack, the best experience I've had (for the price) has been Suit Supply. Check out the website and see what's there, it is a much better value proposition than most of the things you'll find at a department store (including Boss and Z Zegna). For a more conservative approach Brooks brothers has some more tapered collections now, but you'll probably find their shirts a bit bagg. If you live in a big city you can often find designer brands at a steep discount at some department stores (should be something going on about now actually). If you find a Z Zegna for under $600 it's not a bad deal, and while the brand isn't too popular around here, it's a brand that would probably fit you well (I have one piece and it fits nicely and has lasted me quite some time).

Just remember the most important thing is the fit. A $200 Zara suit that fits well is worth more to you than a $2000 suit that fits poorly.

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply akoustas. Do you or anyone else know anything about the fit to measure store My Suit? I have one near me and was going to check them out after checking some of the high end department stores. Their cheapest suit fabrics run $500.

dbhdnhdbh

Reaction score
Once a very long time ago I got a suit in an "athletic" cut. At the time, I went along with tailoring to get a better fit. It was more "not potbellied" than athletic. I have no idea who makes such now but I suspect they still exist. If you are really a body builder, not just fit, then I would love to hear your experience. It seems style does not recognize guys with big chests and shoulders. I don't know whether it is the suits themselves, or just that the model of how they should look is based on lighter frames.

Of course, nothing to be done about thighs...

Hammi

Reaction score
Being 185 pounds at 6ft is not so far from average that you should have any problems. At the same height and 5 pounds less than you, I've had great luck with the Suit Supply brand that seems to be pretty highly regarded around here.

JimPhreak

Reaction score
Being 185 pounds at 6ft is not so far from average that you should have any problems. At the same height and 5 pounds less than you, I've had great luck with the Suit Supply brand that seems to be pretty highly regarded around here.

I realize my measurements are not out of wack at all. But at less than 10% bf I have a pretty strong v-taper and the ratio of my shoulder width to my waist size is pretty big. That's where I have issues. I will look into Suit Supply though I have heard some good things about them.

akoustas

Reaction score
Yeah again that's not that uncommon of a measurement and with less body fat it should actually be easier to find things. Unless you're an 1980s wrestler I doubt you'll have much trouble. Look at the drop. A drop 7 or a drop 8 should suit you fine (that's the difference between the chest and the waist). I'm a drop 8 and the aforementioned brands have fit fine (though not as ideally as my later custom made pieces).

For Suit Supply I sized up one size given my shoulders and chest but chose their slimmest cut (Washington) to balance it out. They managed to tailor it quite nicely and it fits better than 90% of the stuff you'll see out there.

Last edited:

gsugsu

Reaction score
Yes, OP what size suit fits your chest & shoulders & what is your drop. Those numbers may allow people to make suggestions

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Being 185 pounds at 6ft is not so far from average that you should have any problems.

Not true. I've been fairly close to his height/weight before (190 at 5'11) and had a 12" drop. It's extraordinary difficult to find OTR shirts/suits that fit someone with a large neck and a 12" drop - trust me.

To the OP, depending on your measurements, you might try Zegna or Ralph Lauren Black Label.

akoustas

Reaction score
Shirts are definitely more of an issue. I've yet to find a brand that fits me well. Much better to go custom made, it's often the same as a brand name.

ComfortablyDumb

Reaction score
Your tailor is your best friend. I have a similar build (5'11", 44" chest, 33" waist) and I have a few Suit Supply suits in the Napoli cut (the slimmer cuts were too slim in the arms for my liking) that I got my tailor to take in around the waist and they look fantastic. I get all my shirts taken in around the waist as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads