• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Suit Shopping in San Diego

SkinnyTieGuy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have been lurking for a while. I'm a young professional in the San Diego area who's really interested in buying some well-fitting suits that I can look and feel good in.

I've shopped around at almost every mall at Department stores such as Nordstrom's, Bloomingdales, Macy's, and some smaller stores like Hugo Boss, Banana Republic, J Crew, Nordstrom Rack, Men's Wearhouse, H&M

So basically I've searched far and wide but can't seem to find true quality suits that aren't fused and waaaay overpriced. Brands that are normally looked down upon by SF.

The suits I have found are the Hugo Boss (Jam/Sharp), Theory (Xylo NP), J Crew (Ludlow), Banana Republic's Tailored Fit suit, DKNY Trim cut.

I really like the Theory and Hugo fit on me, but thanks to SF, I know better than to buy them at full retail. I wouldn't mind buying these suits, but not at full retail.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on where I can go to find slim fit suits in San Diego that are fully canvassed or atleast discounted enough to justify buying a fused suit? Not really looking to pay full price for what are seen as lesser brands/quality.

Where can I find quality brands such as RLBL, Jil Sander, Isaia being sold in stores?

There's a Sak's in Mission Valley that I plan on checking out that hopefully will have good items on sale, as well as a Ralph Lauren store in La Jolla I'll look into, hoping to try out some RLBL or RLPL suits. But if anyone can offer some advice it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat as you and have looked around for slim fit suits. I ended up with several RLBL's (bought from these forums for $750-900 each, higher than standard forum prices but 36/38s are hard to come by), Hickey suits (from Gilt for $550), in addition to Hugo red label and Theory suits (the last 2 are hated on this forum, but Bloomingdales has them for $400 on sale quarterly).

The brooks brothers fitzgerald and milano suits are decent when they are on sale. Right now it's 25% off with corporate membership.

You might also want to watch out for hickey style suits (not hickey freeman --- hickey is the slimmer, some say lower quality line, but it is half canvassed).

Some of the zegna cuts are also slim, although I am not that familiar w/ the different zegna lines.

I don't know what size you are but there are often size 40 RLBL's for $500 that pop up in the B&S forums, which is a great price and probably the best suits you can get at this price range.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyTieGuy
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have been lurking for a while. I'm a young professional in the San Diego area who's really interested in buying some well-fitting suits that I can look and feel good in.

I've shopped around at almost every mall at Department stores such as Nordstrom's, Bloomingdales, Macy's, and some smaller stores like Hugo Boss, Banana Republic, J Crew, Nordstrom Rack, Men's Wearhouse, H&M

So basically I've searched far and wide but can't seem to find true quality suits that aren't fused and waaaay overpriced. Brands that are normally looked down upon by SF.

The suits I have found are the Hugo Boss (Jam/Sharp), Theory (Xylo NP), J Crew (Ludlow), Banana Republic's Tailored Fit suit, DKNY Trim cut.

I really like the Theory and Hugo fit on me, but thanks to SF, I know better than to buy them at full retail. I wouldn't mind buying these suits, but not at full retail.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on where I can go to find slim fit suits in San Diego that are fully canvassed or atleast discounted enough to justify buying a fused suit? Not really looking to pay full price for what are seen as lesser brands/quality.

Where can I find quality brands such as RLBL, Jil Sander, Isaia being sold in stores?

There's a Sak's in Mission Valley that I plan on checking out that hopefully will have good items on sale, as well as a Ralph Lauren store in La Jolla I'll look into, hoping to try out some RLBL or RLPL suits. But if anyone can offer some advice it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There's a ralph lauren in La Jolla, but it carries mostly polo's and not suits. There's a Brooks Brothers around the corner that carries the milano and fitzgerald suits. The Saks @ fashion valley closed last summer, but check out the Neiman Marcus. There's an off saks and a neiman last call in mission valley but I dunno about the selection there.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oaas00