• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit suit pants

phiilh

Reaction score
I'm 5'8", my jacket size is 36S, and my pants are generally 28.

I recently purchased a full suit from J. Crew (basic black Ludlow), but the pants aren't to my liking - they're just not slim enough (I'm rather skinny). They run around 17" in the knees, and about 15" at the leg opening.

Would anyone happen to know where I can go about buying slim fitting suits with truly slim pants?I think I'd be satisfied if the pants ran 15.5" in the knees, and 14.5" at the leg opening.

I know a lot of people have recommended Zara and H&M around these forums - to those who have tried their suits, are the pants slim fitting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best way to get slim pants is to take whatever pants that come with your suit to a tailor. Trying to find a pair that satisfyingly fits off the rack will be next to impossible. It will either not be slim enough or the waist will sit too low, etc. Find pants long enough, with a rise you're comfortable with, and wide enough in the waist. You can slim it down for cheap afterwards.

020-banker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phiilh
I'm 5'8", my jacket size is 36S, and my pants are generally 28.

I recently purchased a full suit from J. Crew (basic black Ludlow), but the pants aren't to my liking - they're just not slim enough (I'm rather skinny). They run around 17" in the knees, and about 15" at the leg opening.

Would anyone happen to know where I can go about buying slim fitting suits with truly slim pants?I think I'd be satisfied if the pants ran 15.5" in the knees, and 14.5" at the leg opening.

I know a lot of people have recommended Zara and H&M around these forums - to those who have tried their suits, are the pants slim fitting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

1) 15 inches at the hem (so 7.5 inch each side) is actually pretty slim! A tailor could taper the legs further for not such a great cost.
2) Navy or charcoal would be much preferable to black. Unless it's only for funerals, which is unlikley.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 020-banker
1) 15 inches at the hem (so 7.5 inch each side) is actually pretty slim!

Yeah, I think even my slimmest Mabitex are no narrower than that.

phiilh

Reaction score
this is some great reassurance - thanks for the responses!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads