• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slim fit style and concealed handuns

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I'm guessing this isn't an issue for many of you, but here goes ....

I am tall and slim and like the well-tailored, slim-fit look. I also never leave the house without a handgun (usually a S&W J-Frame 340PD revolver or a large frame auto). I usually favor an inside-the-waistband Galco holster just behind the hip or the De Santos pocket holster. Never tried ankle or shoulder rigs, nor had much interest in them.

Any suggestions for tailoring to best conceal? Is there anything that can be done for the inside-the-waistband carry aside from adding 4cm to the waist? What about the pocket for pocket carry? Or jacket for draping?

Any suggestions welcome. Oh, and all is above-board and legal here!

mikej77

Reaction score
Being in law enforcement, I often have the same dilemma. I would avoid any pocket holsters since they do not work well for suits. I wear slim fit suits and as far as concealed carry goes, I usually wear my Glock 26 on an ankle holster. If I need my primary weapon, I usually carry it in a regular belt holster as the suit jacket will do a good job concealing it. Just choose a high ride holster that keeps the weapon close to your hip. Some of my co-workers use inside the pants holsters, I do not like them because they can wear away the wool in your pants over time. Also, shoulder holsters are just not practical, especially if you want to take your jacket off, the whole point of carrying concealed is so others do not know you have a gun.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
patch[1].gif
peepwall[1].gif
patch[1].gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, any brand suggestions for high-ride belt holsters? Do you not have trouble with the waist of a slim-fit jacket showing the silhouette of a holster?

Eccentric

Reaction score
It might be worth considering going to a smaller frame pistol. I love my makarov, and would recomend it to anyone. Something smaller could be concealed at the ankle as well.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
It might be worth considering going to a smaller frame pistol. I love my makarov, and would recomend it to anyone. Something smaller could be concealed at the ankle as well.

I love my S&W for it's light weight (340g) coupled with the stopping-power of 5 .357 magnum hydroshocks. Compare that to the 730g Mak with 8rds of 9mm. However, any revolver is going to be a little more bulky and a lot will come down to personal taste for sure. If I were to go with a light semi, it would be the Kel-Tec P3AT in hard chrome or the new Ruger copy when they release a stainless version.

So, I think I'll try-out a high-riding Galco holster this winter - maybe even a tricky Small of Back models. However, come summer I might reconsider the ankle holster and a slight bootcut to my trou.

mikej77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Mike, any brand suggestions for high-ride belt holsters? Do you not have trouble with the waist of a slim-fit jacket showing the silhouette of a holster?

I have used many different styles and brands of holsters, unfortunately, it is really different for each individual. I recently purchased two from Milt Sparks. Great holsters but because they are custom made, there is a six month waiting list. Your best bet is to go to a firearms store and test out a few. Galco and Desantis are good quality. I like my suits well fitted and actually have my tailor give them a little extra room to allow for the weapon. Again, I carry the Glock 19 and 26 so they conceal very well which helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads