• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fit Overcoat?

NYClawyer

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a slim fitting overcoat. I would like something definitely at or above the knee.

I will be wearing it over a suit, but would perhaps like something I could wear without a suit as well.

Looking for navy, charcoal, or even camel. Would like to keep this well under $1,000, preferably closer to $500 if possible.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Burberry's overcost lineup for F/W 2010.

juuceman

Reaction score
G-Star regularly has one or two slim fitting overcoats each season. I have a very heavy wool overcoat that I regularly wear over a suit to Federal court, etc.

factorial

Reaction score
If it's slim fitting over a suit jacket , it's not going to look slim fitting without a suit jacket underneath.

If it's slim fitting without a suit jacket, it's not going to be wearable with a suit jacket.

You'll have to pick one or the other -- in the end, you probably will want one overcoat to wear over a suit and another overcoat to wear without a suit.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find one you like and size down.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Find one you like and size down.

Then it would be too short in the sleeves. You can't really size down with an overcoat.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Then it would be too short in the sleeves. You can't really size down with an overcoat.

I guess it depends on the coat and your arms but I've never seen a huge difference in sleeve lengths if you only change +/- 1 size.

HHD

Reaction score
Crombie does slim fit models of its classic overcoats

NYClawyer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
Crombie does slim fit models of its classic overcoats

These look very nice -- a bit steep though at over $1,000. Are these sold in the US or only UK?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RLBL has some really slim overcoats every season. I remember in their first year, there was an overcoat tagged 38 with dimension for suited to a 34! They're more proportioned now, but still tend to run slim.

Paul Smith also has some slim coats; I have one from their PS diffusion line that is definitely very much on the trim side.

Zara, H&M and the rest of the fast fashion tier also usually have something like this too, at a much lower price tag (just be sure to check closely what material they're made of).

KPO89

Reaction score
Saw a really nice Isaia one on yoox recently. Would probably be around $800 if you waited on a sale.

jnm23q

Reaction score
Try Hackett. not my favourite brand but their outwear is good. I have one from them in a wool / cashmere mix (label says Loro Piana wool). In any case it's very soft, but seems very durable. RRP was GBP550. Alternatively they have one here for GBP400 http://www.hackett.com/index.cfm?pag...R&refpage=1059

jambo

Reaction score
Holdfast;3734454 said:
RLBL has some really slim overcoats every season. I remember in their first year, there was an overcoat tagged 38 with dimension for suited to a 34! They're more proportioned now, but still tend to run slim."

Second the RLBL recommendation. They do run very slim and seem to be of quality material. I think the sizing is more consistent now. To be honest, 44R RLBL jackets fit me perfect OTR, but the 44R overcoat I have is slightly tight under the shoulder seams with a jacket on. But this is probably my fault, as I really enjoy lifting weights, and this probably wouldn't be an issue for anyone else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads