• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit or regular (yes i've read the threads) please help!

ajk5136

Reaction score
Hey all, i've read the slim fit guide and all but I really am stuck, I'm an average athletic, and i'm trying to find shirts which when i tuck them in, they're less cloth sticking out from the back, i absolutely hate all the material sticking out from the back when i tuck,

I tried some brooks brothers slim fits and the charles tyrwhitt but its still giving me the same problem, can anyone please recommend what sort of fit i should be looking for? I think I should be looking for a tailored fit? Something with less material?

Any help / names is much appreciated,
ajk5136

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As you've found, the slim fit of most companies will still be pretty loose in the waist if you have an athletic body.

Your choices are probably custom (see the many threads about this, along with affiliate sites at the top of the page) or buy shirts you like and then have them tailored, which is usually what I do. For me this entails darts, which bring in the blousy part of the shirt around the waist, and also slimming of the sleeves. I get this done for less than twenty dollars, and it makes all the difference in the world.

All the best.

EZ

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My roommate has a very athletic build and he has the same problem. There really are only two ways around this. The first way is to go bespoke, obviously. The second is to find affordable shirts (whatever affordable means to you) that fit fairly well, and then take them to the tailors. The tailor I go to charges $22 to slim down a shirt, which includes taking it from the sides and putting in darts. If you have a large chest and small waist (which is what I assume you mean by "athletic build"), a tailor is probably your best bet. Check this site for inspiration on what your tailor can do for you http://honorthytailor.com/

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
^ That's an interesting site, chasingred. Does a good job of showing what a tailor can do, and how much difference it makes in fit. Thanks for posting.

EZ

rgoldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit.

Careful, these are very narrow in the shoulders, also they're VERY slim through the sleeves. I own a couple of these and they fit me well (I have pretty small shoulders and a little tiny bit of a gut), so I imagine that an athletic person would find that they're just too tight.

For the record I'm a 16 inch neck, so maybe larger sizes would work?

ajk5136

Reaction score
Hey thank you for the suggestions gentlemen,
I know this sounds fairly stupid so please forgive me in advance but what should I be telling the tailors to do? The extra cloth comes in from around the waist and from the back of the shirt?
Thanks in advance,
ajk5136

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajk5136
Hey thank you for the suggestions gentlemen,
I know this sounds fairly stupid so please forgive me in advance but what should I be telling the tailors to do? The extra cloth comes in from around the waist and from the back of the shirt?
Thanks in advance,
ajk5136

Not stupid at all, we are all learning, and we all started somewhere. You are starting with the most basic thing of all in my opinion, and that's fit. You could have the nicest, most expensive clothes in the world, but if they don't fit, they'll look horrible.

Anyway, your tailor/alterations person will be familiar with this alteration, it's very common. Tell them you want the body slimmed up so it's not so blousy. If you need the sleeves slimmed, just tell them that, they'll understand.

It make take a time or two to get it exactly how you like it, not too snug but enough taken it. After that, one option is to bring a shirt they've already altered to your liking, and they'll just match that one to alter more.

EZ

ajk5136

Reaction score
Hey thank you EZ, quick question - i was looking at the modern tailor website and its got some slim fit shirts, anyone have any experience with these in terms of how blousy / baggy they are?
Many thanks,
ajk5136

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads