• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim fit or Extra Slim Fit

Murphra

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for asking such a basic question but I truly have no idea! I am looking to buy a few suits in the $600-1000 range and am confused by the 'modern, slim fit and extra slim fit' suits. I am 5'11" and about 145 lbs so I am a thin to athletic build. I want something that fits well and looks fresh and modern but I don't want to cross that line where to much of a good thing is not good at all. Is there a general feeling about the extra slim suits? I want to look good but masculine too. Are these extra slim fit suits just for the super thin or are they well though of here? Thanks very much for your help!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SF. I'm afraid your question is very general and the answer would likely depend on where you're getting the suits from. There's nothing wrong with a well fitting suit that is flattering to one's body, but "slim fit" runs the gamut. Many "slim fit" suits come with almost comically skinny lapels that look ridiculous. Others almost seem like they're designed to be worn too tight. Some are not really slim fitting at all despite the name. Others actually fit decently in the chest and shoulders and just have a fair amount of waist suppression to show off a decently athletic body. It really depends on the brand, and as far as fit is concerned, the only way to know what looks good is to try something on.

You want something that fits you in the shoulder, fits cleanly through the chest without bowing out and perhaps some taper to add some shape to the suit without being too tight in the waist (you should be able to button easily) or causing the vents to flare out. If your suit does this (or can do this with alterations), it really doesn't matter what words are actually used to describe the fit.

It might help to browse around a bit using the search function to find specific threads on slimmer fitting suits or particular brands that you're interested in within your price range. In general, SuitSupply offers products that are reasonably slim fitting without being too comically high fashion.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Being as thin as you are I would avoid going with a suit that is designed to make you look even slimmer.
A suit designed for slimmer folk does not make you look slimmer.

OP, at that price range you may consider MTM for the best fit. As far as OTR, BB Milano/Fitzgerald/Regent and Suitsupply are your best bets. Archibald gives good advice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads